The most important 6 Dragons Kung Fu’s (specific) exercises
After seeing the compositional elements of most of the martial arts’ training (read How to train in 6DKF: basic exercises) we pass to the categories of exercises specifically related to 6 Dragons Kung Fu (with or without weapons, with or without obstacles / variants).
In 6DKF there are thousands of:
- Exercises (eg. the ones with the rattan ring)
- Weapons (eg. the tonfa)
- Tools (eg. the skeleton dummy)
Even each of them is useful to achieve specific goals (eg. acrobatic abilities, advanced skills, particular masteries, etc.) only a few of them are fundamental.
In this article, we are going to list the primary groups of practices that we have to perform regularly. With the time we will see in depth all the details about them (exercises, weapons, training tools, etc.).
These exercises are the ones we have to focus on, they represent the hearth of our Kung Fu (read):
- The training with the fabric cloth – With variations of objects, number, execution conditions, (etc., read Basic tools: the cloth)
- The training with the hanging moving targets – With changes in size, weight, number, type of ropes, target (etc., read Basic tools: the Hanging Speedball)
- The training with the poles – With variations of displacement, targets (etc., Basic tools: the pole)
- The training with the mirror – A practice similar to the shadow boxing, useful to correct posture errors, lack of balance, to train speed (etc., more about this later)
- The 6 Dragons Kung Fu’s techniques interiorization – Drills, forms, deception methods, combat techniques, contacts (etc., read for example 6DKF’s interactions: from the strong blow to the light touch)
- The conditionings – Resistance to pain, breathing, strengthening of the body, agility (etc., read Physical conditioning: how it works)
- Mobility training – Exchange of weight between legs, space / distance management, the contact with the ground (breakfalls, crawling, bending down, somersaults, etc., read for example The fundamental concepts of the fallings)
- The training of special skills – To gradually reach our specific martial goals (read How to acquire special abilities)
Regarding mind development (and mind in relation to the body) we have instead:
- Meditation (read Meditation method 1)
- The development of Qi (read The use of Qi in the 6DKF’s meaning)
- The advanced control of the body (read Advanced body control)
- The improvement of the senses (read for example Advanced training: gradually learn to fight in the dark)
- The development of the rapid reasoning (more about this later)
- The study of the fighting methods / tactics / strategies (more about this later)
- The study of mental tactics and deception (read Deception: distract the opponents)
- The study of invisibility and stealth techniques (read for example Be invisible in the crowd: preparation and clothing)
- The study of action and reaction under stress (read for example )
- The study of anatomy, its mechanics (more about this later)
- The study of the human body’s signals (read for example )
- The understanding of the philosophy behind the 6DKF (read for example A 6DKF for each one)
The basic weapons (through which it is possible to get close to almost all other, proper or improper) are:
- An average stick (to simulate spears, etc.)
- A short stick (to simulate swords, machetes, baseball bats, etc.)
- The nunchaku (in preparation of the 3 sections stick, etc.)
- A rope (to simulate the whip, the 9 sections chain, etc.)
- A very short stick (to simulate knife, kunai, etc.)
- The Tennis balls and the chopsticks (to simulate throwing weapons or impact in general)
Special tools exercises
Some of the most advanced workouts involve the use of special tools (gradually we will see how to create alternative cheaper versions of them and / or where to buy them) such as:
- The punching bag (of various kinds, shape size and weight, even artisanal)
- The wooden dummy (of various kinds, even artisanal)
- A rail for traction (even homemade or using a pre-existing structure)
- The grappling dummy (for ground fighting and projections, of various weights)
Last but not list, we have the couple and / or group training (without them there are no possibilities to learn self-defense or, worst, to participate to sports competitions, read How to use martial arts in a real fight):
- Sparring (in pairs or multiple and at different levels of control, read How to do sparring)
- Didactical application of techniques (eg. in turn and in a more or less collaborative way)
- Exercises in combination / cooperation (eg. mutual enlargement of the split)
- 6DKF: what does it teach? – A sum up of the most incisive elements of 6 Dragons Kung Fu
- The basic equipment for training in 6DKF – A list of the most important weapons and training tools of 6DKF
Reply in the comments and share your experience:
- Which category of exercises most interest you?
Author: Master Kongling
Founder of 6 Dragons Kung Fu.
How to master 6 Dragons Kung Fu?
Are you searching for:
- Daily training exercises?
- Synthetic theory and concepts?
- A step by step path from white to black belt?
- A path (clear, consequential and gradual) designed to build real martial skills?
- A direct contact with Master Kongling?
Go to our Patreon page and choose a training plan: starting from the Practitioner level, you will gain access to all this and much more.
Inside each Premium Lesson, you will receive the same teaching (practices, tips, concepts, small secrets and corrections) reserved to the live students of Master Kongling.
Important - Once a certain number of registrations are reached, no other participants can be accepted. For more information write to: [email protected].