Find the 2 ninjas in the image
To practically understand what is the most effective stealth color in conditions of low light let’s do a little game. In the image of this article there are 3 hidden characters (how many can we see?):
- The first wears a black suit (he is a fake-ninja)
- The second wears a gray suit (and he is a real ninja)
- The third wears a blue suit (and he is a real ninja)
As anyone can see, the first character wears a very noticeable color not only by day but also at night and even in conditions of poor visibility. The reason that makes the black extremely easy to identify is the fact that:
- Black is a rare color in nature – In most scenarios, it is rare to find objects (animals, natural features, buildings, etc.) so dark (even the trunks of the trees are lighter)
- Black is an unusual color – Black is a color so unusual that it would not be noticed almost only in the complete absence of light (but in this case even if we were dressed in white it would not change anything)
The best stealth color
If the mission required it the ancient ninjas used to wear clothes of different colors depending on:
- The environment (buildings, forest, etc.)
- Weather conditions (snow, fog, etc.)
- Time of day in which they had to act (evening, morning, etc.)
In the case exemplified in the illustration (at night in a forest) probably they would have worn uniforms with:
- Matte blue tint – The color of the sky during the night
- Matte brown or green tint – Like the ground and the trees
- Matte gray tint – The most generic color
The black gradation that we see in Hollywood films, it does not practically never wore.
Why gray-like colors are less noticeable in low light conditions
The reason is very clear to those who had experience in digital graphics and is very simple:
- In low light situations happen that each thing loses part of its saturation (becoming similar to gray)
- Everything is influenced / covered / filtered by the refraction color of the sky (purple / blue / green / etc.)
A few final notes and tips:
- The ideal color to blend with the environment during the night is not black but gray
- It’s useless to say that to be invisible is not at all sufficient to wear a gray dress (more about this later)
- When the ancient ninjas (or the current special forces) wanted to appear completely invisible they worked on various factors such as timing, alteration of the human shape, merging with the surroundings, etc.
- To be invisible do not mean forcibly to do not be seen but also, for example, to do not be noticed (read Be invisible in the crowd: preparation and clothing)
- Visiting this link it’s possible to view the image that highlights the outlines of the characters in the picture:
In the next article, we will deepen the technique of visual camouflage through other colors and through the correct way to approach them in order to go unnoticed.
- Invisibility: hiding in the shadow – How to effectively do not be noticed by other people (advanced level)
- Create a custom mimetic suit: colors and realization – The basic notion to create a perfect stealth uniform in relation to the environment
Author: Master Kongling
Founder of 6 Dragons Kung Fu.
How to master 6 Dragons Kung Fu?
Are you searching for:
- Daily training exercises?
- Synthetic theory and concepts?
- A step by step path from white to black belt?
- A path (clear, consequential and gradual) designed to build real martial skills?
- A direct contact with Master Kongling?
Go to our Patreon page and choose a training plan: starting from the Practitioner level, you will gain access to all this and much more.
Inside each Premium Lesson, you will receive the same teaching (practices, tips, concepts, small secrets and corrections) reserved to the live students of Master Kongling.
Important - Once a certain number of registrations are reached, no other participants can be accepted. For more information write to: [email protected].