Invisibility: the starting point
If we imagine a scenario in which we want to go unnoticed, the first step (before thinking about clothing and attitude) is to appear not dangerous: we can be healthy, in good shape but no more than this. To do not call the attention of the people around us, we must maintain the appearance of a normal and not too “showy” person.
It is precisely for this reason that in 6 Dragons Kung Fu (despite being martial arts practitioners and while training a lot) we try to limit “marking” our body too conspicuously:
- No too marked calluses (caused for example by body conditioning, read Conditioning check for the impact)
- No exaggerated muscles (read Physical conditioning: how it works)
- Nothing that would lead back to the prototype of an individual to keep under control (a martial art practitioner, a military, etc.)
If we truly want to be invisible:
- We must start from a low profile (people think through prejudice, let’s know the most common of the scenario and let’s adapt our strategy)
- We have to keep our body clean and natural (no particular sign of any kind and if we have, let’s cover / hide them)
- Nothing must remain engraved in the memory of the people who are watching us (unless we want to)
How to be invisible among other people
Here are some ideas about the preparation and the study of invisibility in a crowded environment:
- Be mainstream – We must make sure that, if someone is called to report our description, he will never be able to say anything enough particular to set us apart from anyone in the mass
- Dress like them – We have to dress like people of our age / sex / nationality dress in the present scenario we are (neither ugly nor beautiful)
- The supermarket dress code – To take inspiration for our wearing, let’s go to the supermarket nearest to the place where we want to go unnoticed (in the same year period) and let’s copy a person similar to us
- Alter our normality – We have to alter our appearance upsetting our normality (eg. for men, the 2-3 days shave, for women no make-up)
- Avoid the exaggerations – The extremes are our enemies, let’s look as much as possible ordinary (neither too ugly nor fascinating)
- No signs – Tattoos, scars, bruises and other signs have to be completely hidden with posture, clothing or makeup but without appearing suspected or “strange”
- Hairstyle change – If our hair has a particular hairstyle, we must alter it and make it more appropriate (or at least cover it with headdresses adapt to the scenario)
- Talk with the mirror – We have to scrutinize at the mirror our appearance centimeter by centimeter looking for something that would attract attention (in the meaning time let’s start to study facial expressions and the neutral attitudes)
How to dress:
- The glasses are always good, the sunglasses only if they are worn by many people
- Better not wear necklaces, bracelets, etc. (unless the context requires it, however, nothing noticeable)
- If our body has unusual characteristics (irregular motility, showy shapes, etc.) we have to try to hide them (or connect them with our dresses, luggage, etc.)
- The hair must be covered if possible or collected, in 90% of cases are a sign of recognition (in most cases the man must have short hair, the woman long)
- A written phrase on our t-shirt demands to be read, we also do not have to wear clothing with brands, sentences or other (even appealing images must be avoided)
- Unless the context of the environment requires it, no erogenous parts must be at sight (necklines, short skirts, marked musculature, etc.)
- Not flashy clothes of a fashion just ended are great (it is usually good to avoid colors that are too dark / light and too saturated, middle tones are the best choice, read Invisibility: the best night stealth color)
A note by Master Kongling – It sounds easy but it is not at all and only by testing on the field is possible to improve. I remember that many years ago, when I began to experiment a little with the techniques of deception (stealth, etc.), during a test (in front of a cinema), I was so focused on being natural at the eyes of the others that I didn’t realize I had an attitude totally out of place (nervous, suspicious, attentive, etc.). So, an incredibly funny thing happened: a shopkeeper approached me asking if I was a soldier… through this (and many other) errors (read Measure ourselves with errors), I realized that it is wrong to pretend to become something that is completely different from us, we must instead harmonize ourselves with the context. In the specific case, those who go to a cinema are dressed to go out, read the posters, look for the screening room, buy popcorn, call late friends (etc.): do not stand in a position of advantage to scrutinize all people passing by with a fleeting gaze (etc.). Anyway, later on, we will have a better way to deepen the subject.
In the next article of this series, we will continue the invisibility in the crowd topic with hints of body language (read Be invisible in the crowd: eyes and attitudes).
- Invisibility: hiding in the shadow – How to get unnoticed in low light conditions
- Stealth walking: an introductory exercise – How to prepare our body and our mind to the stealth walking
Reply in the comments and share your experience:
- Have you ever tried to get unnoticed?
Author: Master Kongling
Founder of 6 Dragons Kung Fu.