The 6 Dragons Kung Fu’s method
The goal of our school is to create a bridge between:
- Martial arts and self-defense
- Mind development and body conditioning
- Different combat styles and training systems
- Weapons and bare hand fighting
- Hard and soft, internal and external
The reason for this moltidisciplinary approach is that where others see dispersion, 6DKF identifies connections.
Let’s see a few examples:
- Why study the ancient weapons? – The weapon educates the arm, the arm becomes one with the weapon, the arm becomes a weapon (read also Learning the use of weapons)
- Why practice meditation? – The mind manages the moods, the emotions do not control the body, the body is free to express its maximum potential (read Become the absolute zero)
- Why use softness? – Softness gives for example speed, rigidity offers impact power, their continuous re-mixing ensures combat unpredictability (read The path to the soft movements)
Why a holistic approach
It is not a question of randomly mixing different things but of correctly positioning the tiles of a wider mosaic:
- What can be superimposed is fused
- What is incompatible is simply flanked
What is excellence in martial arts?
- The real excellence lies not in possessing a single capacity at the highest possible levels since none of them is capable of replacing all the others
- Excellence consists in always having an advantage over our opponents and only a multidisciplinary approach (combined with a serious and daily training) can guarantee it
A note by Master Kongling – Only near the end of our martial path we choose a specific skill to develop at the highest level: after years and years of consistent preparation.
Let us reflect for a moment:
- What is the use of having a powerful body if our mind is more fragile and manipulable than a child’s?
- What sense does it have to concentrate on a single method of fighting (or training) if it has evident disadvantages that could be easily filled by other types of approach?
- Why strive to be rigid if this makes us controllable, slow and exposes us to unnecessary dangers?
- What is the point in mastering myriads of personal defense / fighting techniques if we do not know the legal contexts in which to apply them (read Best martial arts for self-defense)?
The sources of 6 Dragons Kung Fu
6 Dragons Kung Fu is based on chinese Kung Fu and in particular, it is strictly related to the ancient methods of Shaolin Temple (many of which are rarely taught).
The core inspiration, however, does not prevent us from collecting the best settings, exercises, techniques and methods from other oriental / occidental, past / present martial arts.
Starting from the Shaolin Temple, we abandon all prejudice and sterile rivalries to teach for example:
- Concepts inspired by Japanese culture like Ninjutsu (the Sanshin practices), Taijutsu (from the various ryuha), etc.
- Concepts inspired by Bruce Lee’s Jeet Kune Do
- Modern MMA’s training methods and fighting tactics
- Principles from Wing Chun, Silat, Systema, Yoga and much more
A note by Master Kongling – Kung Fu is not a tradition and it never been (contrary to what a lot of people think). Kung Fu it is something that constantly needs to evolv, if we do not want it to be surpassed in effectiveness (read MMA vs Tai Chi 10 seconds knock out: an explanation). The time to be mind-closed it’s ended. To reach real results, it is fundamental to: maintain what is good, leave what is not useful and absorb what is functional, no matter from where the experience comes (as the ancient masters have always done after each confrontation).
The teachings of 6 Dragons Kung Fu
Is our school a simple container of other’s notions? No, we are simply inspired by the other martial arts (and we do not hide in admitting it) but there is much more than this (new exercises, techniques, focal points, etc.).
6 Dragons Kung Fu teaches:
- Fight with bare hands (striking, ground fighting, levers, throws, etc.)
- Use of weapons (practical use of proper / improper weapons, the throwing ones, the cutting ones, the rigid / flexible ones, etc.)
- Body conditioning (impact resistance, stamina, speed, power, etc., inspired for example by the 72 Shaolin skills, by the Karate’s Hojo Undo, by the best MMA trainers)
- Self-defense and self-preservation (prevention, practical application of fight techniques in real contexts, the debated topic of disarmament, the correct attitudes, stress management, group combat, how to escape, etc.)
- Use of psychology and deception techniques (NLP, persuasion, body language, lie detection, etc.)
- Invisibility / stealth techniques (how to do not be seen, how to go unnoticed, camouflage, prestidigitation hints, etc.)
- Advanced combat techniques (whose learning requires years of practice, like the advanced muscle chain mastering, the TCM’s pressure points, some acrobatics, etc.)
- The development of the core martial skills (attitudes related to power, speed, balance, endurance, reflexes, spatial intelligence, etc.)
- Personal growth, control of our mind (self-esteem, self mental conditioning, how to manage the emotions at our advantage, removing fears, etc.)
- Advanced management of our body and mind (trough meditation, cure of our Qi, breathing, development of the senses, flexibility, etc.)
- Tactics and strategies of struggle (advanced methodologies to prevail over our opponents, bodily resource management, mobility, faints, etc.)
- Individual and group training (design of daily sessions, adaptation to the practitioners’ level, recovery practices / times, preformance control, etc.)
- Training exercises (based on the principle of “constant change”, an always “different” approach to the same practices, read Same exercises, different execution)
- Specific sequences (drills, forms, fundamental movements / interactions, body adaptation, muscle memory, etc.)
- Sparring (controlled fighting, with different types and levels of intensity)
- The creation of a personal style (combining techniques and skills to create a personal resource fully bonded to the practitioner, made of body mechanics, management of personal attitudes / limits, etc.)
- General martial culture (introducing, as much as possible, the other martial arts, we offer to the practitioner an occasion to understand how to face them, to implement their strengths, to exploit their weaknesses, etc.)
With this article we wanted to give a general (non-exhaustive) overview of what 6 Dragons Kung Fu Style aim to convey to its practitioners:
- They may appear to be too many types of knowledge but they are not, due to the connections thay have one in relation to each other
- Naturally this is not a short way; Kung Fu is a life path, if we think to absorb this theory (and especially the involved practice) in 1-2 years, we are completely out of range (read )
- To start to understand if 6 Dragons Kung Fu truly deepen these topics and if it is what youb are searching for, you can simply visit this website and read some of the hundreds of free contents that day by day we share for free
In-depth video courses
- Basic 6 Dragons Kung Fu Exercises – The core practice of 6 Dragons Kung Fu, fundamental to build real martial skills
- Basic free hand fighting techniques – The most important and basic combat moves of 6 Dragons Kung fu
- Chin Na: Principles and Learning – A video course about how to learn the most comples combat techniques of Kung Fu
- How to start practicing from scratch – A small tutorial on how to embrace Kung Fu starting from zero
- Is it legit? – An article about how to honestly and effectively evaluate the quality of a new knowledge
Reply in the comments and share your experience:
- What is your favorite topic?
Author: Master Kongling
Founder of 6 Dragons Kung Fu.
How to master 6 Dragons Kung Fu?
Are you searching for:
- Daily training exercises?
- Synthetic theory and concepts?
- A step by step path from white to black belt?
- A path (clear, consequential and gradual) designed to build real martial skills?
- A direct contact with Master Kongling?
Go to our Patreon page and choose a training plan: starting from the Practitioner level, you will gain access to all this and much more.
Inside each Premium Lesson, you will receive the same teaching (practices, tips, concepts, small secrets and corrections) reserved to the live students of Master Kongling.
Important - Once a certain number of registrations are reached, no other participants can be accepted. For more information write to: [email protected].