Kung Fu and meditation
Real meditation, like Kung Fu, is not something that can be performed easily and / or by anyone but it is a fundamental step to gain the best results.
The mind of those who are oriented towards a too hectic way of life (typically western) will have a hard time to:
- Stay still and do not do anything
- Stay totally silent (internally and externally)
- Forget everything (problems, daily life, etc.)
- Check and feel the real state of body and mind
- Understand and release all the tensions (especially the ones that we do not know to suffer)
- Empty the mind (to truly focus on nothing is hard for everyone)
Practicing Kung Fu, one the most common temptation (often favored by poor instructors) is to think to train without “wasting” time meditating:
- It’s absolutely wrong, it means to try to pursue the Yin without the Yang
- It means to lose 50% of the combat effectiveness (read Become the absolute zero)
- It means to lose 75% of the self-defense skills (read )
- It means to do not develop a strong mind, damaging the quality of our training (read Having discipline: do not contradict ourselves)
A note by Master Kongling – Let’s be clear, this refusal is more than normal (the biggest part of martial arts practitioners is not able to meditate) but we must resist; this practice, as well as being vital for achieving a certain level of results, is incredibly beneficial (both for the psyche both for the body).
How to start with meditation
To help beginners here we have a first simple approach to meditation in 6 Dragons Kung Fu:
- Let’s find a suitable environment (and time) where no one will bother us
- Let’s turn off all of our electronic devices (let’s take a time only for us)
- The complete silence is not fundamental, the important thing is to have no distractions
- Let’s get on our knees or (better) cross-legged with a pillow behind our back (to maintain it straight without being distracted by the initially involved effort)
- Let’s choose a convenient position, if we feel discomfort we will not able to concentrate
- Let’s put a background of oriental meditation music (we can find it online and for free, let’s try to search something like “zen meditation”, let’s avoid the tracks with spoken words)
- Let’s close our eyes, gently
- Let’s try to relax every muscle in our body, one by one (initially it is not easy)
- Let’s breathe naturally but more slowly, without tiring us (no too deep breaths)
- Let’s inhale through our nose and exhale through our mouth
- Let’s imagine to practice Kung Fu solitarily, effectively, peacefully, with harmony and determination
- We do not have to go beyond our ability, 5 minutes are fine to begin (let’s practice every day)
- Let’s choose the right moments (waking up in the morning, going to sleep in the evening, after lunch, etc.)
A few tips and ideas:
- If this is our first approach to meditation, let’s do not try while we are nervous or when we have no time to dedicate (it is extremely counterproductive)
- This is only an introductory method, we are “violating” some basic rules to make it as much simple as possible
- Meditation will help us to think and to relax in any situation but only after a few months of practice
- Meditation has to be a pleasure, a moment for us, if it will become a forced practice, the beneficial effects will never come
In the next article of this series, we will see the second meditation method of 6DKF (read Meditation method 2). Let’s do not go to the next step if we are not accustomed to this one.
- Breathing for immediate relaxation – The way to use meditation to obtain immediate relaxation in critical moments
- Concentration and abstraction in combat – The correlation between mental abstraction and combat
Reply in the comments and share your experience:
- What are the biggest difficulties that you face starting meditation?
Author: Master Kongling
Founder of 6 Dragons Kung Fu.
How to master 6 Dragons Kung Fu?
Are you searching for:
- Daily training exercises?
- Synthetic theory and concepts?
- A step by step path from white to black belt?
- A path (clear, consequential and gradual) designed to build real martial skills?
- A direct contact with Master Kongling?
Go to our Patreon page and choose a training plan: starting from the Practitioner level, you will gain access to all this and much more.
Inside each Premium Lesson, you will receive the same teaching (practices, tips, concepts, small secrets and corrections) reserved to the live students of Master Kongling.
Important - Once a certain number of registrations are reached, no other participants can be accepted. For more information write to: [email protected].