How a 6 Dragons Kung Fu training session is structured
The subdivision of the time
Generally, a basic 6 Dragons Kung Fu training session is divided into 5 parts:
- Warm-up / stretching (effort preparation for muscles, tendons, etc.)
- Basic training (middle-level intensity)
- Explosive training (high-level intensity)
- Endurance training (middle-level intensity)
- Cooldown (low-level intensity)
Note – This article has been asked by one of our Core Course practitioners on Patreon (see how to attend our home study classes here Learn Kung Fu online: a beginner-to-expert course).
Naturally, this is not a fixed rule, depending on goals and context, this sequence may change.
The duration of the exercises
Each of the compositive parts is divided into exercises, their duration is (on average):
- 1-5 minutes (for the novices)
- 10-30 minutes (for the normal practitioners)
- 10-360 minutes (for the advanced practitioners)
Even here, this is only an indication: there are practices that require a specific amount of time that cannot be changed and / or that is useless to change.
The rule of variation
Each day of practice must be:
- Varied and exciting (especially for the beginners, read Same exercises, different execution)
- Completely balanced (in terms of maintenance and development of real martial skills)
- Calibrated on your psychophysical abilities (in the present moment)
- Able to increase our capabilities without exhausting us (read also Intensity of training: depends on what?)
A note by Master Kongling – Remember: without constant training, there is no Kung Fu. If you want to deepen the structure of our training sessions, you can read also 6 Dragons Kung Fu training sessions’ structure and 6 Dragons Kung Fu exercises’ characteristics.
The basic exercises of 6 Dragons Kung Fu
6 Dragons Kung Fu counts thousand of exercises but these are the most important categories:
- Basic physical exercises (read How to train in 6DKF: basic exercises)
- Fundamental technical exercises (read How to train in 6DKF: specific exercises)
A note by Master Kongling – Do not worry, we will see each of them in-depth, the training you are going to start is very simple.
What you need to start
For this sample training you simply need:
- A timer with an alarm countdown to check the duration (typically included in every smart device)
- The starting equipment (described in Lesson 1)
- No partners, only a plastic bag (like those of the supermarket)
A note by Master Kongling – For now we skip all the normal formalities (read Kung Fu greeting: meaning and execution), such as greeting, writing the training sheet, balancing the exercises (etc.).
A first sample session: an exercise to discover yourself
As we have already mentioned (read Lesson 4), the inverted learning method of 6 Dragons Kung Fu needs, before anything else, to let the practitioner’s body and mind express.
For this reason, way we start with an exercise without too many explanations (we will add details gradually).
This is your first simple training session:
- Do some stretching (read Basic soft stretching)
- Take the plastic bag
- Launch it in the air (not too far, not too close)
- Hit it while it is in the air
- You can use hands and arms as you want
- You cannot grab the plastic bag
- Imagine the plastic bag as an opponent and hit it before it falls
- The goal is not to maintain the plastic bag in the air but to hit it properly
- Try to make it difficult for you to hit the plastic bag (move, crouch down, etc.)
This is a basic version of the Fabric Cloth exercise (read Basic tools: the cloth), you can practice it for 5-15 minutes but if you do not feel tired you can go on without interruption.
A note by Master Kongling – With the fabric cloth I remember that, after the first frustrations, time flowed rapidly without realizing it (it happened for me and for all the 6 Dragons Kung Fu’s practitioners all over the world). The most interesting thing about this workout is that it automatically adjusts itself to your skill level.
- How to start practicing 6DKF – The right path for a novice to learn 6 Dragons Kung Fu
- How to train to master the 6 Dragons Kung Fu Style – The best way to obtain the best results from our teachings
Author: Master KonglingFounder of 6 Dragons Kung Fu.
How to master 6 Dragons Kung Fu?
Are you searching for:
- Daily training exercises?
- Synthetic theory and concepts?
- A step by step path from white to black belt?
- A path (clear, consequential and gradual) designed to build real martial skills?
- A direct contact with Master Kongling?
Go to our Patreon page and choose a training plan: starting from the Practitioner level, you will gain access to all this and much more.
Inside each Premium Lesson, you will receive the same teaching (practices, tips, concepts, small secrets and corrections) reserved to the live students of Master Kongling.
Important - Once a certain number of registrations are reached, no other participants can be accepted. For more information write to: [email protected].