What we need to begin to train in 6 Dragons Kung Fu
In this article we want to describe the cheapest 6 Dragons Kung Fu’s training equipment possible.
Those who want to start a serious martial path with us (read A full and free online guide to 6 Dragons Kung Fu) should have:
Starting from phase 1 (read) we need (at least):
- 2 short wooden sticks (length 65-75cm, diameter about 2-3cm, they should be identical)
- 1 elastic rope (length 130-150cm, diameter about 1cm)
Starting from phase 2, we need:
- 1 very short wooden stick (about 20cm)
- 1 average length wooden stick (about 90-100cm)
- 1 long wooden stick (about 140-160cm)
- 1 long metal tube (about 140-160cm, at least 4 kg)
- 1 training nunchaku (with soft protections)
The rest of the equipment
Starting from phase 1, we need:
- A diary (and something to write or a notes app in a smart device)
- Several bungee cords with attached carabiners (at least 15)
- 3-4 soccer balls (even used or low-quality are good)
- Some net bags suitable to contain the balls (3 or 4)
Starting from phase 2, we need:
- 2-5 Tennis balls (low quality)
- Several used / broken man’s long socks (black, dark gray or dark blue)
- A solid fabric bag containing rice (for 75-85%)
- Various small T-Shirts used / broken (3-4 different types)
- Several wooden chopsticks (disposable)
- Several small weighted bags (from 1-2 kg each, full of sand, metal or anything that is safe)
- A west / jacket (obtained from an old fisherman with many pockets)
- 1-2 dumbbells with interchangeable weights (at least 10kg)
The training suite
- 2-3 black T-shirts (with short sleeves)
- 1-2 pairs of basic gloves (not too padded and that allow free movement of the fingers)
- 2-3 pairs of men’s football socks (long well stretch and resistant, black, dark gray, or dark blue)
- 2 pairs of black pants (in polyester, good quality cotton or other materials that slide well on the body)
- 1-2 pairs of black Kung Fu shoes (or, in any case, Tennis shoes with a flat, thin, non-slip and flexible sole)
A note by Master Kongling – Important: be sure that the pants you have do not limit your movements in any way; a lot of low-quality martial arts wearings attach at your thighs (when you sweat and especially when you do the splits, read The easiest method to do the side split).
A few conclusive details:
- In this article we wanted to tighten everything to the minimum necessary for those starting out (after the second phase of development, we will need more specific / advanced training tools)
- We tried to stay in the area of maximum economy; generally the more expensive things are the weapons (high quality, high price) but we will purchase them only after reaching a certain level of skill, for the moment what we have described is more than enough
- Being only for those who want to use Kung Fu for self-defense or sport competitions, we have not added the sparring gear (read The meaning of sparring fighting in martial arts)
- All the other training tools are secondary or to be assembled; the last 2 types of “tools” that we have not mentioned are the partners (read 5 effective ways to find a training partner) and the training area (the “guan”) but these deserve a separate discussion
In the next article of this series, we will explain more clearly the implementation and capabilities of the equipment we have listed (read 6DKF’s basic equipment: explanation) and in future we will add a “deluxe” version of the same equipment.
In-depth video courses
- Basic 6 Dragons Kung Fu Exercises – The fundamental practices to build a solid 6 Dragons Kung Fu’s structure
- Basic free hand fighting techniques – The core basics of our combat system
- How to start practicing from scratch – How to address Kung Fu training without any experience
- Learning the use of real weapons – The path to loearn to master the real weapons
Reply in the comments and share your experience:
- On what tool are you going to spend more?
Author: Master Kongling
Founder of 6 Dragons Kung Fu.
How to master 6 Dragons Kung Fu?
Are you searching for:
- Daily training exercises?
- Synthetic theory and concepts?
- A step by step path from white to black belt?
- A path (clear, consequential and gradual) designed to build real martial skills?
- A direct contact with Master Kongling?
Go to our Patreon page and choose a training plan: starting from the Practitioner level, you will gain access to all this and much more.
Inside each Premium Lesson, you will receive the same teaching (practices, tips, concepts, small secrets and corrections) reserved to the live students of Master Kongling.
Important - Once a certain number of registrations are reached, no other participants can be accepted. For more information write to: [email protected].