Lesson 1 – My first Kung Fu training
What you need to start training
To start training in 6 Dragons Kung Fu you simply need 3 things:
- Space and a time where no one will bother you
A training partner in this first section it is not fundamental (read 5 effective ways to find a training partner).
Gradually we will add more and more training equipment (read The basic equipment for training in 6DKF) but for the first day of practice you can start with:
- A comfortable T-Shirt
- Comfortable trousers that do not limit the opening of your legs
- Long socks (to wear over the trousers up to the knees) to avoid treading the hem
- Open-fingered gloves (without exaggerated padding)
- Sportive shoes with a low sole
Do not buy anything, use what you already have.
A dress is a dress, we also have an official uniform but it is only a symbol for official events (graduations, exhibitions, etc.), Kung Fu is not in a place, in a weapon or in a dress, it is in our hearth and in our mind.
A place to train
You need one or more places to train (“guan”) and these places must respond to the following needs:
- Completely safe (no obstacles, no sharp things, no dangerous floors, no fragile objects, etc.)
- Away and free from distractions and external disturbances (entertainment, smartphones, unwanted people, etc.)
- Accessible every day without any issue (at any meteorological conditions, at the right time, etc.)
- Not necessary big but, for now, nor too small (for the first individual training you need at least a 4x4m completely empty / free room)
A note by Master Kongling – When a practitioner has developed the right spatial intelligence (read The most important skill in combat) he can train even with a rotating chain in a small room with a lot of unstable obstacles but for now this is dangerous.
A time to train
From the beginning, you have to find a space (preferably fixed during the day) to train 6 times out of a week. It is not important that it is 15 minutes or 4 hours, the important thing, for now, is that it has to be a Constant (read How to train with perseverance):
- Whatever mood you may have…
- Whatever level of stress you may reach…
- Whatever tiredness you may feel…
- Whatever external commitment you may have…
- Whatever happens…
There will always be something to distract you, something more useful, more interesting, more important, more inevitable: it does not matter. This is your first step towards building solid self-discipline (read Having discipline: do not contradict ourselves):
- You must stop being a victim of events and even less of external influences
- Excellence lies in staying focused on the chosen objective
In the beginning, it will be difficult but gradually you will be able to include training as an integral part of your lifestyle (read Practical examples of daily training time subdivision).
A small trick: put an “x” on the calendar only after the end of each training session, this way you will give material concreteness to your pledge.
The real (formative) goal is to understand that time is precious and should never be wasted.
- Move us where crouches an ox: manage the fighting space – Almost all training exercises of 6DKF can be performed in a small space with obstacles
- Is 6 Dragons Kung Fu effective? – An answer to a request about the effectiveness of 6DKF
Author: Master Kongling
Founder of 6 Dragons Kung Fu.
How to master 6 Dragons Kung Fu?
Are you searching for:
- Daily training exercises?
- Synthetic theory and concepts?
- A step by step path from white to black belt?
- A path (clear, consequential and gradual) designed to build real martial skills?
- A direct contact with Master Kongling?
Go to our Patreon page and choose a training plan: starting from the Practitioner level, you will gain access to all this and much more.
Inside each Premium Lesson, you will receive the same teaching (practices, tips, concepts, small secrets and corrections) reserved to the live students of Master Kongling.
Important - Once a certain number of registrations are reached, no other participants can be accepted. For more information write to: [email protected].