Why passion is nothing
- Passion – It is strictly tied to the idea of interest / curiosity, it is a secondary necessity that can disappear, decrease or increase as a function of factors beyond our control (the quality of the instructors, etc.)
- Self-discipline – Seen from outside it is a motion similar to a chronic addiction, it is more similar to a primary necessity of our body and mind (like drinking, eating, etc.)
Note – This article has been asked by one of our Core Course practitioners on Patreon (see how to attend our home study classes here Learn Kung Fu online: a beginner-to-expert course).
The real martial arts practitioner (as Shifu Yan Lei remembers us, read Shi Yan Lei: real master), is who is worried by the short duration of the workout and not bothered by its length.
A note by Master Kongling – I have seen it a lot of times, no matter the level of the equipment bought, the natural talent, the love for the martial arts: if training is not nourished by real motivation, in about 2 months it will end.
How to use passion to start to build self-discipline
Passion has a limited duration and is inconstant but it is absolutely important and it serves us to motivate us to do all those things that otherwise we would not even begin to observe (read also Workout music: how, when, why).
Taking advantage of the foundations laid by passion, we must move on to the gradual construction of self-discipline. To do this we have simply to:
- Give maximum priority to our daily training – Friends, love, hobbies and work must be rationally organized (not avoided) in the function of our practice (read Practical examples of daily training time subdivision)
- Train balancing performances increase and recovery – It is totally useless to destroy ourselves for 1 day and then not being able to walk in the next week (read 5 regeneration practices to recover after training)
- Let’s start to train longer instead than stronger – We will have all the time to gradually increase the intensity (read Intensity of training: depends on what?), let’s first focus on the duration (read Tips on how to stretch our training times)
- Forget the external world when we train – If our practice is constantly focused on doing better than the last time, our mind will start to forget fatigue (read How to train with perseverance)
- Build our mindset starting from the smallest things – Let’s learn to be regular, precise and rational in our daily life; let’s work on ourselves gradually changing all those small tasks that do not cost us effort
- Do not aim for martial skills (especially at the begininng), aim for daily training – This is not a contradiction, the real martial skills (read All the skills of 6 Dragons Kung Fu) will come with the time and the dedication but only through a constant practice
The real obstacle is to overcome 2-2.30 hours a day: beyond that, the body begins to have an urgent need to train.
In-depth video courses
- How to build strong self-discipline – A step-by-step path to that kind of self-control that brings results (in life, martial arts, work, etc.)
- Basic 6 Dragons Kung Fu Exercises – The best exercises that our school teaches to build real martial skills
- Having discipline: do not contradict ourselves – Discipline is a promise that we make with ourselves
- Discipline is the key to freedom – Do not try to avoid it, embrace self-discipline and your life will change
Reply in the comments and share your experience:
- How many times have you started something and left it halfway?
Author: Master KonglingFounder of 6 Dragons Kung Fu.
How to master 6 Dragons Kung Fu?
Are you searching for:
- Daily training exercises?
- Synthetic theory and concepts?
- A step by step path from white to black belt?
- A path (clear, consequential and gradual) designed to build real martial skills?
- A direct contact with Master Kongling?
Go to our Patreon page and choose a training plan: starting from the Practitioner level, you will gain access to all this and much more.
Inside each Premium Lesson, you will receive the same teaching (practices, tips, concepts, small secrets and corrections) reserved to the live students of Master Kongling.
Important - Once a certain number of registrations are reached, no other participants can be accepted. For more information write to: [email protected].