The martial path of 6 Dragons Kung Fu
Although we have already published some materials (read How to train to master the 6 Dragons Kung Fu Style), many people have asked for a “basic guide” to start training in 6 Dragons Kung Fu. In this regard, we want to illustrate the general path to follow (starting from scratch).
First of all, we must awaken our bodies from the dullness of modern life: it makes no sense to try to train as Shaolin monks if we are not even able to climb the stairs without having to face heart / breathing / joints / etc. problems (see also How to immediately improve endurance).
The first thing that our Kung Fu should teach us is to be gradual.
A note by Master Kongling – This article is not born for good sports athletes and / or advanced practitioners coming from other martial arts but a part of the activities we will describe is fundamental even for them (if we already are in perfect physical shape, we can simply increase times and efforts of the exercises, read Intensity of training: depends on what?).
Starting from scratch: awaken the body
Starting from a hypothetical state of total inactivity (and after evaluating our general health with our physician), let’s see the first steps to develop the 6DKF within us:
- Move the body every day – Let’s start with a few minutes of physical activity but let’s do it every day, without excuses, nothing is more impelling than our workout (read The constant training in everyday life)
- Start with a small but constant training time – If we are overweight, not so young (read The right age to start practice) and / or totally inactive from the physical point of view, 5-30 daily minutes are fine (we will increase them gradually)
- Organize times and exercises – Let’s divide our time between warm-up (read Basic warm-up), stretching (read Basic soft stretching) and especially executing the most important exercises of 6DKF (training with fabric cloth, hanging moving targets and wooden poles, read )
- Forget the combat aspect – At this stage, we have to forget any kind of martial approach (we will learn the fighting techniques when our body and our mind will be ready)
- Focus on small but important things – The only rules to remember are to keep the guard high (hands near the head, read ) and to use the kicks / punches that our body instinctively suggests us (in 6DKF this initial freedom is crucial for the perfect development of a complete warrior, read )
- What are our goals? – Let’s focus on building basic spatial intelligence (read The most important skill in combat), balance, physical endurance and especially mental constancy (read Having discipline: do not contradict ourselves)
- What are not our goals? – Let’s forget power, precision and speed, in terms of excellence these are the last things that we will develop (after learning the basic technical baggage)
- Let’s work on instinct and reason – Let’s leave our body free to act (but in a safe context, see the free video course Kung Fu Near Me and read Dojo (guan): rules, respect and etiquette); we must analyze, and correct everything we do (things that seem wrong / correct / interesting, etc.)
- Motivation is the starting point – In 99% of cases, initially, we only have the enthusiasm as a resource (no habit and much less discipline, read Motivate ourselves), we must put all the possible energy and concentration in each training session (let’s use the contents of this website, the music and everything that can motivate us, read Workout music: how, when, why)
- Mental skills development – About mind development let’s start finding a few minutes of absolute silence (with closed eyes); we have to try to hear and distinguish the sounds near and far (from here we will then go for breathing, meditation, advanced body control, etc., read Meditation method 1)
- Correct nutrition – As soon as possible we will have to change some of our eating habits (read Qi and proper nutrition) and especially we must learn to drink plenty of water
The next step (after, at least, 6 months) is to start to condition your body (read Physical conditioning: how it works).
A few considerations and tips:
- This is the basis, supposed to anyone; of course, who already has a good athletic / martial background can insist more on the daily effort (eg. starting with 45-60 minutes per day, read Practical examples of daily training time subdivision)
- Even from these first steps, we will notice great changes in our lives, in our way of approach with ourselves and with others (read 10 things that change for 6DKF’s practitioners (physical) and 12 Things That change for 6DKF’s practitioners (mental))
A note by Master Kongling – To start this is more than enough: but to feel the Real Change you need at least 1 year of daily practice. In the next article of this series, we will deepen the structure of each training session (read 6 Dragons Kung Fu training sessions’ structure).
- Tips on how to stretch our training times – How to enlarge our daily workout
- Why martial arts do not work: 5 reasons – What makes the difference between effectiveness and ineffectiveness in martial arts
Reply in the comments and share your experience:
- What is your background (sports, other martial arts, etc.)?
Author: Master Kongling
Founder of 6 Dragons Kung Fu.
How to master 6 Dragons Kung Fu?
Are you searching for:
- Daily training exercises?
- Synthetic theory and concepts?
- A step by step path from white to black belt?
- A path (clear, consequential and gradual) designed to build real martial skills?
- A direct contact with Master Kongling?
Go to our Patreon page and choose a training plan: starting from the Practitioner level, you will gain access to all this and much more.
Inside each Premium Lesson, you will receive the same teaching (practices, tips, concepts, small secrets and corrections) reserved to the live students of Master Kongling.
Important - Once a certain number of registrations are reached, no other participants can be accepted. For more information write to: [email protected].