An impossible situation?
Before start talking about this delicate topic, let’s see a few premises:
- Fight with more than one aggressor is extremely hard – The first thing that must be emphasized is that to fight more than one opponent is never advisable because, in most cases, the defeat is certain; in any self-defense situation is always advisable to avoid to use violence (read Personal defense: the S.A.F.E. method), if then there is a numerical disadvantage it is foolish even to accept it
- It’s a matter of mathematics – Even for the best possible fighter, prevailing against more opponents of his own level (breath, technique, athleticism, determination, etc.) is mathematically impossible; dealing with 2-3 people, with a quarter of his fighting and psychophysical skills, is more reasonable but still remains much complex
Why do we address multiple opponents fighting?
There are 2 main reasons why the 6 Dragons Kung Fu deepens the multiple opponents battle:
- A practical reason – Unfortunately, in self-defense, being attacked by more than one person at the same time is absolutely not uncommon and censoring the problem as impossible does not improve our survival options (read ); cowards love to attack in a pack, especially when we are in a public space it is very likely that an assailant has friends, accomplices or simply that some stranger decides to meddle (perhaps without fully understanding the situation)
- A training reason – Our learning method starts from an (apparently) absurd principle, we always have to imagine to fight with multiple opponents, this will make easier to manage just one (at least in general terms); the idea is that the entire environment around us can be seen as a single entity (objects, land, people, weapons, etc.) and that everything that can be hostile, it can also be enslaved to our needs (an escarpment, the fist of an opponent, etc.)
How to face multiple aggressors: prerequisites
In the case we risk to be a victim of multiple attackers, the best solution is always the same: to use intelligence and avoid confrontation at all costs (read Self defense: 10 correct attitudes during a quarrel, Self Defense: 10 Things to avoid in a quarrel and ).
In the extreme case in which the fight is not an option (read The 6DKF’s diagram about the use of violence), we have to fight and in this series of articles, we will see how (without promising miracles or clean / easy solutions).
Before defining the strategies to “be able” to face multiple opponents at the same time, we must ensure to possess these characteristics (without which we are defeated even before starting):
- Physical endurance – To have at least one option to knock more opponents requires an incredible athletic endeavor, we need a lot of resources (at least 3 hours daily training) and know how to economize them (high technical level, read for example )
- Accuracy – We must know where to hit, how, when and why, errors are not allowed; we need a perfect spatial intelligence (read The most important skill in combat) and spatial memory, we must know where are our opponents even when we do not directly see them; we need to constantly evaluate distances, positions, speed and timing (read Introduction to the idea of Precision Control)
- Agility, coordination, power and speed – Our body must fully meet our needs (in terms of change of pace, mobility, energy release, etc.); we must be able to maintain a constant and prolonged performance under effort (built with long / intense sparring sessions, weights, cardio exercises, etc.); we have to simultaneously use as many parts of our body as possible to attack and defend (head, shoulders, elbows, etc.)
- Resistance to pain – Even if we are good athletes, if we are not accustomed to withstand pain (read Acceptance and prevention of pain), to resist to strong blows (read Conditioning check for the impact), projections (read The fundamental concepts of the fallings), small injuries (etc.) probably we will not prevail (read How to always be ready to fight)
- A deep mental preparation – We need to be completely aware of the stress level involved in a fight (read Become the absolute zero), we need to instantly assess priorities (we must recognize what are the most dangerous adversaries, attacks, etc.); each of our moves must start and get to sign with decision (to hesitate, can be fatal) ); we cannot be dragged by emotions or sensations (read
- Technical ability – We need to know how, where and with what defend / attack (how to free us, to use the scenario’s elements at our favor, how to exploit aggressors’ power, how to make opponents hinder each other, etc.); our reason has to be focused on the best strategy and techniques prevail, our instinct to automatically defend ourselves
A note by Master Kongling – The list is very basic but gives an idea of what it takes to have at least one survival option against more than one fighter. Many write to me asking for opinions on videos of amazing techniques, simple, effective and multi-purpose but the harsh reality is and remains one: all the solutions that exclude the quoted prerequisites are simply and ingenuously useless. There are no techniques or tricks that guarantee victory in a 1 vs 1 battle, worst than ever in a 1 vs multiple clash.
In the next article, we will see how to deal with the various types of multiple opponents (read Practical advice on how not deal with multiple opponents).
- Best martial arts for self-defense – The truth about the correlation between martial arts and self-defense
- Which martial arts are effective in self-defense? – Are there specific martial arts good for self-defense?
Reply in the comments and share your experience:
- What makes it so difficult to face more than one opponent from your point of view?
Author: Master Kongling
Founder of 6 Dragons Kung Fu.
How to master 6 Dragons Kung Fu?
Are you searching for:
- Daily training exercises?
- Synthetic theory and concepts?
- A step by step path from white to black belt?
- A path (clear, consequential and gradual) designed to build real martial skills?
- A direct contact with Master Kongling?
Go to our Patreon page and choose a training plan: starting from the Practitioner level, you will gain access to all this and much more.
Inside each Premium Lesson, you will receive the same teaching (practices, tips, concepts, small secrets and corrections) reserved to the live students of Master Kongling.
Important - Once a certain number of registrations are reached, no other participants can be accepted. For more information write to: [email protected].