Although we have already published some materials (“How to train to master the 6 Dragons Kung Fu Style”), many people have asked for a “basic guide” to start training in the 6 Dragons Kung Fu. In this regard, we will illustrate the general path to follow (starting from scratch).
First, we must awaken our bodies from the dullness of modern life; It makes no sense to try to train as Shaolin monks if we are not even able to climb the stairs without having to face heart / breathing / joints / etc. problems (the first thing that kung fu must teach us is to do not be stupid).
Starting from a hypothetical state of total inactivity (and after evaluating our general health with our physician), let’s see the first steps to develop the 6DKF in us:
- Let’s start with a few minutes of physical activity but let’s do it every day, without excuses, nothing is more impelling than our workout (read “The constant training in everyday life”)
- If we are overweight, a little “old” (read “The right age to start practice”) and / or totally inactive from the physical point of view, 5-30 dayly minutes are fine (we will grow them gradually)
- Let’s divide our time between warming, stretching and especially executing the most important exercises of 6DKF (training with fabric cloth, hanging moving targets and wooden poles, we’ve already explained them in past articles)
- At this stage, we have to forget every martial approach (we will learn the techniques when we start familying with our body)
- We have to keep high the guard (hands near the head) and use the kicks / punches that our body instinctively suggests us (in 6DKF this initial freedom is crucial for the perfect development of a complete warrior)
- Let’s focus on building basic spacial intelligence, balance, physical endurance and mental constancy
- Let’s forget power, precision and speed, in terms of excellence these are the last things that we develop (after learning the basic technical baggage)
- Let’s leave our body free (but in a safe context); we must analyze, and correct everything we do (things that seem wrong / correct / interesting, etc.)
- In 99% of cases initially we only have the enthusiasm as a resource (no habit and much less discipline), we must put all the possible energy and concentration into each training session (let’s help with these articles, with music and everything can motivate us)
- As for the other skills of 6DKF, let’s start finding a few minutes of absolute silence (with closed eyes); we have to try to hear and distinguish the sounds near and far (from here we will then go for breathing, meditation, advanced body control, etc.)
- As soon as possible we will have to change some of our eating habits (read “Qi and proper nutrition”) first of all we must learn to drink plenty of water
- This is the basis, supposed to anyone, of course, who already has a good athletic-martial background can insist more on the dayly effort (eg. starting with 45-60 minutes per day)
- Even from these first steps we will notice great changes in our lives, in our way of approach with ourselves and with others (read “10 things that change for 6DKF’s practitioners (physical)” and “12 things that change for 6DKF’s practitioners (mental) “)
In the next article we will see the next martial learning phase.
Author: Master Kongling
Founder of 6 Dragons Kung Fu.