Focus on breathing
Working with constancy and dedication on the practices described in Lesson 4.5, you will slowly develop unconscious attention to quality breathing:
- That kind of focusing is necessary to build the instinct that will allow you to use the most appropriate breathing in every situation
- An autonomous mechanism that, in most cases, will activate without even having to think about it
Note – This article has been asked by one of our Core Course practitioners on Patreon (see how to attend our home study classes here Learn Kung Fu online: a beginner-to-expert course).
After a few weeks of (uninterrupted) practice, the conditioning of your respiratory system should be started, so it is possible to switch to the first and simplest breathing techniques.
A note by Master Kongling – Important: do not skip the previous steps of this chapter or your entire preparation will lose all its substance.
What is the purpose of breathing techniques?
Let’s start with a premise: it is not true that we always breathe in the same way. Try to take notice of it (read Correct breathing), our inhalations and exhalations change depending on:
- The age we have reached – For example, (tendentially) small children breathe with their abdomen, older people with the upper chests
- The state of mind – For example, if you are afraid, you tend to breathe more quickly and in a less deep way, if instead, you are bored you do it slowly
- The health status – For example, if something occludes our respiratory tract (eg. mucus) or if we are overweight, we will tend to breathe with our mouth
- The current situation – For example, after an intense training, the breath can be heavy and throttled, during sleep, it is constant and regular
Through extensive training, 6 Dragons Kung Fu’s breathing techniques can help us to:
- Manage in the best way each of these variables conditions (independent by our conscious will)
- Gain high-level skills related to body control (read Advanced body control)
A note by Master Kongling – As it happens for fighting techniques, it is not enough to know the theory and try to put it into practice 1-2 times (read A scheme to quickly learn any kind of technique). In order to achieve these goals: constant discipline, preparation and concentration are forcibly required.
The first breathing techniques and tricks
As we have mentioned in Lesson 4.3, our school has a lot of different kinds of breathing, let’s see some of them with a brief explanation of their practical application:
- The 6DKF’s combat breathing – Although we have not yet addressed the combat topic (self-defense, sparring, fighting techniques, etc.), it is important to begin to outline how a 6 Dragons Kung Fu’s practitioner breathes during a fight
- Invisibility: how to hide heavy breathing – A simple trick to hide heavy breathing, to do not reveal our presence / position in a self-defense context (this is a small Stealth technique)
- Breathing for immediate relaxation – How to recover control in conditions of stress (and with proper training, even in the ones that you normally cannot manage)
- How to free stuffy nose – This is the Buteyko method, an easy way to rid the nose from the mucus and immediately return to breathe regularly (very useful during workout)
A note by Master Kongling – For now, we see only these techniques, it is more than enough; later on (always in this course) we will analyze more advanced breathing methods (related to the cycles of Qi, the Fa Sheng, etc.).
In the next chapter, we will start to see fighting techniques.
- A breathing exercise to develop the 6DKF’s muscle chain – An advanced exercise to help to build the 6 Dragons Kung Fu’s muscle chain (not for beginners)
- Control of emotions: the exercise of the switch – An advanced method to gain control over your emotional changes voluntarily (with a breathing exercise included)
Author: Master KonglingFounder of 6 Dragons Kung Fu.
How to master 6 Dragons Kung Fu?
Are you searching for:
- Daily training exercises?
- Synthetic theory and concepts?
- A step by step path from white to black belt?
- A path (clear, consequential and gradual) designed to build real martial skills?
- A direct contact with Master Kongling?
Go to our Patreon page and choose a training plan: starting from the Practitioner level, you will gain access to all this and much more.
Inside each Premium Lesson, you will receive the same teaching (practices, tips, concepts, small secrets and corrections) reserved to the live students of Master Kongling.
Important - Once a certain number of registrations are reached, no other participants can be accepted. For more information write to: [email protected].