The path to real combat skills
In this chapter, we begin to see some of the basics of fighting. In terms of combat skills, the path we are following is:
- Physical exercises – We have seen them to become able to practice the technical exercises (read Lesson 3.5)
- Technical exercises – We have seen them to become able to practice the techniques (read Lesson 3.6)
- Combat techniques – Techniques are important to become able to practice sparring (in a profitable way)
- Sparring – Sparring sessions are fundamental to become able to fight (self-defense, sports competitions, etc.)
Note – This article has been asked by one of our Core Course practitioners on Patreon (see how to attend our home study classes here Learn Kung Fu online: a beginner-to-expert course).
How many fighting techniques you need to know?
Being a liquid martial arts (read 6DKF: what does it teach?), 6 Dragons Kung Fu is “boundless” in terms of combat moves but you do not have to be scared by this:
- Mastering everything is impossible – There is no need to train all the techniques of struggle (at the highest possible level); in terms of inspiration it is certainly important to try, understand and see them but it makes no sense to think of using them all in real contexts
- Every practitioner must make his choices – With time you have to choose a group of techniques that better suits you and train them to exhaustion (in increasingly complex contexts); you have to adapt them to your style, your psychophysical conformation, age (etc.)
A note by Master Kongling – Simplicity is the key to success. The best warrior is not the one who knows the biggest number of techniques but the one who knows how to perfectly adapt a selection of them to every scenario(read also Kung Fu training: 5 errors that make you weak).
Why study fighting techniques?
Not a series of notions
It must be stressed that the ultimate goal is not to mnemonically learn a series of “tricks” to beat “every kind of opponent”: this would be ridiculous, Kung Fu does not work this way.
To think of being able to prevail over a prepared opponent simply by applying a series of clean didactical technique is purely insane (this happens only in martial arts movies).
It is not by chance that in “martial art” there is a mention of the word “art”: it refers to an idea of personal expression.
As an artist needs to mix colors, personal visions and ideas in an unexpected way in order to reach the heart of his audience, in the same way, a fighter must know how to assemble concepts and principles (or part of them).
A note by Master Kongling – We have to deeply work on the knowledge derived by the learned technique.
To compose your “poetry”, each of the techniques that you want to make yours must be profoundly known, in every respect:
- The concepts behind them
- The limits / risks of usage
- The ideal contexts of applications
- The fundamental mechanics
- The key points
- The energy consumption
- The necessary skills for their execution
How to learn any kind of technique
In Kung Fu each combat technique (from the simplest to the most complex) can be performed at various levels of quality and effectiveness:
- You start with slow, rhythmic, symmetrical, precise and wide movements (useful to acquire flow, motor skills and technical precision)
- You arrive then to (gradually) express explosive and irregular applications in times / spaces increasingly narrow (necessary for real combat)
A note by Master Kongling – Altering this path means preventing your body from fully expressing its potential.
In these 2 tutorials is described how to face the study of each of the 6 Dragons Kung Fu’s teaching:
In the next lesson we will see the base to apply any fighting technique.
- 4 Tips to effectively apply any fighting technique – How to apply effectively a fighting technique against a real opponent
- Basic free hand fighting techniques – A video course that shows the basic 6 Dragons Kung Fu’s fighting techniques
Author: Master KonglingFounder of 6 Dragons Kung Fu.
How to master 6 Dragons Kung Fu?
Are you searching for:
- Daily training exercises?
- Synthetic theory and concepts?
- A step by step path from white to black belt?
- A path (clear, consequential and gradual) designed to build real martial skills?
- A direct contact with Master Kongling?
Go to our Patreon page and choose a training plan: starting from the Practitioner level, you will gain access to all this and much more.
Inside each Premium Lesson, you will receive the same teaching (practices, tips, concepts, small secrets and corrections) reserved to the live students of Master Kongling.
Important - Once a certain number of registrations are reached, no other participants can be accepted. For more information write to: [email protected].