How to learn to breathe correctly in any situation
For a beginner:
- The best (most rapid) way to learn how to breathe properly is to do it within simple but specific applications
- The right way to study breathing is not doing things like sparring, forms, sequences or techniques (these are too complicated contexts)
- If not absorbed consistently, this kind of attitude could take years and years to become a second nature
Note – This article has been asked by one of our Core Course practitioners on Patreon (see how to attend our home study classes here Learn Kung Fu online: a beginner-to-expert course).
In this regard, you will exploit 2 useful practices of 6 Dragons Kung Fu:
One helps you to understand how to breathe, the other how to apply respiration in a practical context: both are essential (see How to meditate: 3 easy approaches (for beginners)).
Why meditation and conditioning
By performing these 2 exercises:
- You will understand that your respiratory system will automatically start working more effectively
- You put the bases of the instinctive capability of selecting the right breathing type in each context (read Lesson 4.3)
A note by Master Kongling – This is not the way I have learned the theory related to the importance of breathing, this is the way I have learned to do it truly, practically.
1. Meditation method 5 as an exercise for breathing
Meditation method 5 (read Meditation method 5) is one of the most important things that you will learn in this course:
- Behind it, there is an ancient (and known by few) technique to recover / collect Qi (read also The use of Qi in the 6DKF’s meaning)
- It helps you to reach a high level of relaxation and flexibility
In this learning phase:
- We do not expect it to allow you to manage your Qi consciously (we will talk about this in the next chapters)
- Primarily we want you to start putting your concentration on what happens inside you (paths, times, alterations, etc.)
- Secondarily we want you to use it to start learning (in a practical way) the cycle of Qi within your body (because it is a matter of years of dedication)
2. Basic iron palm conditioning as an exercise for breathing
Iron palm represents a very advanced set of skills related to the power of a practitioner (developed in different ways by various kind of martial arts).
Our basic exercise to start its development is described in Iron palm conditioning (for beginners) but, at this level:
- We are absolutely not interested in its real development (we will talk about it in the last chapters)
- Primarily we want to use its efficacy to start to sync correct breathing to a focused repetitive movement
- Only secondarily to actually become familiar with the concept of conditioning for resistance (the sooner you start the better it is, read also Conditioning check for the impact)
A note by Master Kongling – As you can see, compared to a lot of other martial arts, in 6 Dragons Kung Fu, the development of the most advanced skills starts (with the right precautions) immediately and never ceases to evolve (this allows you to understand what kind of martial quality we want you to reach).
In the next lesson, we will see the first practical applications of the 6 Dragons Kung Fu’s breathing techniques.
- Iron palm conditioning – What is and how the Iron Palm conditioning works in 6 Dragons Kung Fu
- Iron palm: the development path – How to correctly develop the Iron Palm in 6 Dragons Kung Fu (not for beginners)
Author: Master KonglingFounder of 6 Dragons Kung Fu.
How to master 6 Dragons Kung Fu?
Are you searching for:
- Daily training exercises?
- Synthetic theory and concepts?
- A step by step path from white to black belt?
- A path (clear, consequential and gradual) designed to build real martial skills?
- A direct contact with Master Kongling?
Go to our Patreon page and choose a training plan: starting from the Practitioner level, you will gain access to all this and much more.
Inside each Premium Lesson, you will receive the same teaching (practices, tips, concepts, small secrets and corrections) reserved to the live students of Master Kongling.
Important - Once a certain number of registrations are reached, no other participants can be accepted. For more information write to: [email protected].