Lesson 3: the fist, your first attack technique
The direct punch
After seeing how to sketch a first guard stance (read Lesson 5.2), let’s move on to the first combat offensive technique you will learn in this course:
- The direct punch is a technique that at the same time can be defined as the simplest and as the most difficult
- Any non-practitioner can use this technique but a perfect punching ability takes years and years of training to develop
- We start from this attack because it is one of the most common and because through its study it is possible to learn a good part of the mechanics of the other striking techniques
In this context we will see the theoretical rudiments of an effective punch, you will have to train them focusing on all the most (apparently) insignificant detail and perfect their application from today until the day when they will become instinctive just like breathing.
How to throw a punch: what you need to know
Before starting to see how to punch properly, it is essential to underline that:
- This punch is not for self-defense – We have not yet addressed the topic of personal defense and in a real context this type of punch is not the best choice for those without experience, precision and (especially) conditioning
- Punch in the face – For a beginner, throwing a fist on the rigid parts of the opponent’s body (also involuntarily) is equivalent to causing at least severe pain in the hand and in the worst case (not too remote) to suffer a fracture / rupture of the bones
- Conditioning – In 6 Dragons Kung Fu, there is a specific path (which we have already started in Lesson 4.5) that will lead you to hit even a mottled rock “without consequences” but it is essential to be gradual
- Soft targets – For now, this kind of punches should be trained against very soft targets (eg. cushions) and “against the air” (the so-called “shadow boxing”) without power (to avoid damage to untrained joints); for now all the other targets must be hit open-handed (more about this later)
- Study purpose – The important thing in this phase is to understand the dynamics through slow and wide movements, in this moment speed and power must be avoided (there is nothing more difficult to correct than a wrong movement that has become part of your muscular memory)
- Preparation – Before starting to throw punches, you must do a correct stretching and warm-up (read Basic warm-up and Basic soft stretching)
- Avoid violence – Always remember that using violence is the worst humiliation of your intelligence (read The 6DKF’s diagram about the use of violence)
How to prepare a punch: closing the fingers
Let’s start seeing how to close your fist in the correct way:
- Open your hand at your maximum width (all the fingers must be stretched)
- Flex all the fingers (except the thumb) so that the fingertips go to overlap your palm at the height of the thumb base (many, erroneously, omit this step)
- Make sure no fingers overlap with others (they must be near)
- Slide the fingertips of the previous 4 fingers upward so that they close by firmly grasping the underlying skin (without folds)
- Fold as much as possible the 4 bent fingers down and inward the hand
- Close the thumb so that it covers the index / middle fingers by tightening the fist
Some considerations on how to make a fist:
- If you have done everything correctly, by throwing your knuckles against the other open hand, you should feel a sense of compactness and no annoyance
- Even if the fist must be tightened, keep your fingers relaxed until the last moment of the hit (the tension slows your actions / reactions)
- There are other ways to tighten the hand (for example in the Russian Systema the last phalanges of the 4 upper fingers do not flex) but for the moment focus on this
Naturally, this is only the explanation, with time you will close your fist properly without having to think about it.
How to punch
How to execute the direct punch technique:
- You have to align the back of the fist to the wrist and to the forearm; this (eg. against a punching bag) will prevent the fracture of not high-conditioned wrists
- The punch technique is described in the article How to punch (simple explanation) in its simple version, (in future we will see the extended explanation)
- In the article everything begin in a casual standing position, you have also to try from the semi-open hands guard stance (described in Lesson 5.2)
Final notes / tips about how to throw a punch:
- How to punch faster – The fastest punch is always the one that travels the shortest route from a starting point A to a point B of arrival
- There are a lot of different methods – What we have seen in this lesson is just one of the many ways in which it is possible to hit
- The difference lies in the details – Do not believe who tells you that “a punch is always a punch” (there are endless variations of loading, of releasing the force, methods of movement, purposes, etc.)
The next step will be your first kick.
- The metal sphere: how to release the force of a punch or a kick – How to punch harder releasing the force / power on the target (for intermediate practitioners)
Author: Master Kongling
Founder of 6 Dragons Kung Fu.
How to master 6 Dragons Kung Fu?
Are you searching for:
- Daily training exercises?
- Synthetic theory and concepts?
- A step by step path from white to black belt?
- A path (clear, consequential and gradual) designed to build real martial skills?
- A direct contact with Master Kongling?
Go to our Patreon page and choose a training plan: starting from the Practitioner level, you will gain access to all this and much more.
Inside each Premium Lesson, you will receive the same teaching (practices, tips, concepts, small secrets and corrections) reserved to the live students of Master Kongling.
Important - Once a certain number of registrations are reached, no other participants can be accepted. For more information write to: [email protected].