How to clench the fist (to punch with the knuckles)
These are the steps in short (for a more detailed explanation read How to tighten the fist):
- Let’s start with a completely opened hand
- Let’s attach our straight fingers one by one
- Let’s bend the fingers downward making the upper phalanxes touching the lower part of the hand
- As to grab the skin below them, let’s pull it upward (until the fingers are closed)
- Let’s lock everything overlapping the thumb to the index and middle fingers
- We have to feel comfortable in this position
- Another important rule is that our forearm must be aligned to our hand (read How to punch (simple explanation))
A note by Master Kongling – I didactically teach to do this, to understand the right moves but when we are in combat, we do not have to do all these steps: we have to simply close your punches (I know that this should be obvious but I have received specific questions about this, so I prefer to be precise saying something more instead of something less).
The 2 most common errors
The most common errors are:
- To maintain the thumb parallel to the remaining 4 fingers (in reality there are a lot of methods to tighten the fist but if we do not know what we are doing, let’s avoid it, we risk to hurt ourselves for nothing)
- To close our thumb inside our 4 fingers, this way we will break our thumb for sure
A few conclusive tips:
- The fist must be relaxed but closed
- The only moment when the fist should be tightened (in our school) is an instant before the impact (as Bruce Lee was teaching)
In-depth video courses
- Hand grip strength conditioning – How to improve the quality of our combat grasping capability (for trapping, etc.)
- Basic free hand fighting techniques – All the basic techniques of 6 Dragons Kung Fu
- How to rapidly learn Kung Fu: guard stance – The first basic technique that a beginner should master
- Trapping – What is and how it works in terms of advanced combat dynamics
Reply in the comments and share your experience:
- Do you feel comfortable with your fist closed?
Author: Master KonglingFounder of 6 Dragons Kung Fu.
How to master 6 Dragons Kung Fu?
Are you searching for:
- Daily training exercises?
- Synthetic theory and concepts?
- A step by step path from white to black belt?
- A path (clear, consequential and gradual) designed to build real martial skills?
- A direct contact with Master Kongling?
Go to our Patreon page and choose a training plan: starting from the Practitioner level, you will gain access to all this and much more.
Inside each Premium Lesson, you will receive the same teaching (practices, tips, concepts, small secrets and corrections) reserved to the live students of Master Kongling.
Important - Once a certain number of registrations are reached, no other participants can be accepted. For more information write to: [email protected].