What we really need to be able to use a weapon in a real situationIn terms of martial arts, to be able to use a proper / improper weapon (read Improper weapons in a real situation) does not mean:
- Knowing how to perfectly perform codified forms
- Knowing how to execute fancy juggling tricks
- Not necessary
- Not sufficient
An exercise to develop a good spatial intelligence
The premisesOur starting points:
- Spatial intelligence is the ability that in 6 Dragons Kung Fu we identify as “primary” for a practitioner (read The most important skill in combat)
- This exercise (already described for the free body, read Reflexes and spatial intelligence: an exercise with the Tennis Ball) may be performed either with flexible weapons (rope, nunchaku, etc.), both with the rigid ones (stick, knife, etc.), the only precaution is to execute it only with training tools (no sharpened blades, non-hazardous materials, etc.)
- We insist a lot on the implementation of unorthodox training methods (read The use of unorthodox methods)
- This is absolutely not a practice for beginners
- The right technical level
- A basic control over our power and speed
- A good balance (eg. it is useless to try this practice if we are not suited to work with the first 3 fundamental practices of our school, read )
- The necessary control over the weapon (eg. if we feel it too heavy we will fail)
The base of the exerciseHere is the exercise (in its simplest version):
- Let’s find a closed room (neither small nor large but devoid of delicate objects)
- Let’s advise people near us that we are training with weapons and let’s follow all the security rules listed in How to train without risks (for their security and ours)
- Let’s take a couple of Tennis balls, 1 classical and 1 with reduced elasticity (eg. the ones for dogs)
- Let’s choose the weapon we want to use (rope, sai, 3-section stick, etc.)
- Let’s start with the simplest thing, let’s make the ball bounce on the ground (with a random force and direction)
- Let’s try to hit the ball with the weapon before it hits the ground a second time
The next step: the variantsWhen we become able to accurately hit the ball, we can move on to more complex and advanced versions of this practice:
- Sometimes, we can change the ball with the other one (with damped elasticity)
- We can throw the ball and hit it in the air before it hits the ground (this is slightly more difficult)
- We can “fight” with the ball and its rebounds on the wall / floor / ceiling, trying not to stop the bounces (much harder)
- We can “fight” with the ball in the presence of obstacles on the ground (let’s choose non-hazardous ones)
The goalWhat we aim to teach our mind, is to perform complex calculations about the scenario and the interaction between its elements (power, distance, position, air resistance, revolutions, etc.):
- Instantaneously and instinctively with an high-level of precision
- Without losing focus on the surrounding environment (read also The overall view: see everything, do not look at anything)
In-depth video courses
- Basic 6 Dragons Kung Fu Exercises – The most complete explanation of the fundamental exercises of 6 Dragons Kung Fu
- Flexible weapons: how to defend with a nunchaku – A topic that is rarely faced in relation to the nunchaku
- The “T” weight: an exercise to master weapons – How to build the right wrists conditioning to manage the weight of our weapon
QuestionsReply in the comments and share your experience:
- Can you hit the ball with your weapon?
Author: Master KonglingFounder of 6 Dragons Kung Fu.
How to master 6 Dragons Kung Fu?
Are you searching for:
- Daily training exercises?
- Synthetic theory and concepts?
- A step by step path from white to black belt?
- A path (clear, consequential and gradual) designed to build real martial skills?
- A direct contact with Master Kongling?
Go to our Patreon page and choose a training plan: starting from the Practitioner level, you will gain access to all this and much more.
Inside each Premium Lesson, you will receive the same teaching (practices, tips, concepts, small secrets and corrections) reserved to the live students of Master Kongling.
Important - Once a certain number of registrations are reached, no other participants can be accepted. For more information write to: [email protected].