What is the overall view?
The normal process of data recovering through sight is:
- Generic – We search where and what we expect
- Superficial – We rarely give a meaning to what we see
- Ingenuous – We look for big and obvious variation
- Prejudicial – We often catch only the information we want
- Slow – We process data slowly and in a confused manner
- Limited – The size of the area that we truly control is much smaller than the one that we catch
- Too communicative – With our reactive mimic we expose what we are thinking
When in 6 Dragons Kung Fu we talk about the “overall view” skill we refer to a trained and optimized way to perceive the reality through our eyes; in particular, our goal is to learn to:
- Do not look at anything but see everything
- Take instant photos of the relevant elements of the scenario
- Rapidly and instinctively process a big amount of data
- Check the environment cyclically and in a priority-managed way
- Catch synthetic data even from extremely fast visual sequences
- Control everything is not normal but without drawing hasty conclusions
- Find causes and effects in every scenario interaction in a natural way
- Give attention to what is more rationally interesting but without excluding the rest
- Hide our reactions to what we elaborate
A note by Master Kongling – This is what we want to tend to, it’s obvious that these tasks are very complex and that they are continuously subjected to errors and misunderstandings but the point to focus on is training: the more we practice, the better our overall view attitude will be (read How to acquire special abilities). Remember, the only things worth learning are those that require a long, serious and concentrated study and practice.
What is the overall view purpose?
As practitioners of 6DKF, we must learn to see everything without looking at anything in particular, to grasp the details and anomalies instinctively and in connection with the other senses (read Avert dangers: the concept of constant attention).
For a warrior, the best way to keep under control a scenario is to use the overall view:
- Both during a fight (against one and especially against eventual multiple opponents, read How to fight with more than one opponent at the same time)
- Both in daily life (as for the already mentioned constant attention, read How to develop the constant attention)
Another huge advantage is that it eases the difficult task of being inexpressive and do not to let show our moods:
- In terms of stealth – To be quickly forgotten in relation to our occasional observers
- In terms of fighting – To do not reveal our intents, tactical interests and emotions
Do not show emotions and gather valuable information from the environment is an attitude that must be developed hand in hand and requires a lot of dedication.
How to prepare the overall view: the position
Basically, our head must be:
- Tilted so as to collect as many useful details as possible (usually, about 45° downwards, so as to be able to widen our field of vision laterally and in part, behind us)
- Mobile but in a natural way (we have to lock our eyes and slowly rotate our head; we do not have to be inpatient, we must arrive to see what we want in a normal, indirect and cyclical way; we never have to stop in direction of our targets)
- Aligned so as to see just above the head of our a person (this only if we are certain that there are no facilities / entity above us, for example in an open field)
- Directed to apparently normal directions (never directly look at our targets, always look at what normally attracts interest)
- If conditions permit, as stable as possible (the more we are stable and / or still, the more we will catch the micro-changes around us, read Identify the dangers as animals do)
- Managed as to be able to not be noticed (who observes us from outside, accidentally or voluntarily, does not have to notice the slightest anomaly in us)
- Appear disoriented, distracted (we must not react to the interaction within the scenario; we never have to concentrate, even for a second on our targets)
Initially, it may seem very complicated but with a daily practice and a good concentration, it will become a natural thing in a few months.
In the next few articles, we will see what it takes to acquire this ability, a few tricks and some really useful exercises (read What we need to develop the overall view).
- Overall view: the exercise with the two attackers – An interesting exercise to train the overall view
- Invisibility: how to hide heavy breathing – A little trick to do not allow people to ear our heavy breathing (eg. during an escape)
Reply in the comments and share your experience:
- On what occasions do you notice that someone is watching you?
Author: Master Kongling
Founder of 6 Dragons Kung Fu.
How to master 6 Dragons Kung Fu?
Are you searching for:
- Daily training exercises?
- Synthetic theory and concepts?
- A step by step path from white to black belt?
- A path (clear, consequential and gradual) designed to build real martial skills?
- A direct contact with Master Kongling?
Go to our Patreon page and choose a training plan: starting from the Practitioner level, you will gain access to all this and much more.
Inside each Premium Lesson, you will receive the same teaching (practices, tips, concepts, small secrets and corrections) reserved to the live students of Master Kongling.
Important - Once a certain number of registrations are reached, no other participants can be accepted. For more information write to: [email protected].