I am nothing
After so many articles, courses and videos, I think it is time to introduce myself: my martial name is Kongling, I do not like to talk about myself but I want to:
- Give you an idea, as much informally as possible, of who I am and of what has been my path
- Show you my mistakes, so that you can immediately benefit from them (read Measure ourselves with errors)
Note – This article has been asked by one of our Core Course practitioners on Patreon (see how to attend our home study classes here Learn Kung Fu online: a beginner-to-expert course).
The beginning: Shotokan Karate
During those years, my father died and that kind of discipline had the merit to maintain a connection between me and the world; it gave me the awareness of not being different from the others.
A note by Master Kongling – Thanks, Walter Corrà sensei (master, champion and example of discipline), rest in peace.
From my first experience I’ve basically received 2 things:
- A first martial setting (imparted in a very, very severe way, read Having discipline: do not contradict ourselves)
- A partial liberation from my fears (linked to bullying, insecurity, nightmares, etc., read Practical examples of emotion control)
Jeet Kune Do and Bruce Lee
After some years, during my adolescence, I had the occasion to practice (very intensively) Bruce Lee’s Jeet Kune Do, that, though young and inexperienced, for the first time opened my eyes to the limits and the advantages of the various martial arts.
I’ve understood (at my expense) that the technique is useless without constant and focused practice but even more, I have clearly found that:
- There is no perfect martial art (no one adheres to our personality, each one has benefits to be exalted / developed and limits to which find a remedy, read The various points of view on martial arts)
- Without fighting you will not learn to fight (I tried what it means to be overwhelmed by opponents bigger, smaller, better than me, to go back home walking on a single leg, read Why martial arts do not work: 5 reasons)
Daily workout: my biggest errors
To the JKD followed a consolidation phase of what I learned, accompanied by regular daily workouts (read Tips on how to stretch our training times): an exaggerated and unreflective search of muscular conditioning in relation to speed, strength and power.
This period brought to light my biggest limits:
- I was too sore to train me without a precise martial direction (I had more and more injuries and wasted a lot of time, read )
- A body-limited evolution (my physical fitness improved, the technique was stabilized but my mind remained confined to a state of pure violence, read Violence and martial arts)
A note by Master Kongling – The increasing effectiveness in the fight did not match the right mental growth. I remember that during a quarrel with my brother, I broke down, without realizing it, his room door with a punch (as you can see in the photo). It was not a too strong blow but it was out of my control.
My temperament became more aggressive day by day, so after a number of situations of loss of control, I decided (reluctantly) to abandon the martial practice.
Continue (read Master Kongling: the night is darker before dawn)…
- How to start practicing 6DKF – The right path to start your martial growth
- 4 secrets for perfect martial training (beginners) – Few important tips to start in the right way
Reply in the comments and share your experience:
- What is the first martial art that fascinated you and why?
Author: Master KonglingFounder of 6 Dragons Kung Fu.
How to master 6 Dragons Kung Fu?
Are you searching for:
- Daily training exercises?
- Synthetic theory and concepts?
- A step by step path from white to black belt?
- A path (clear, consequential and gradual) designed to build real martial skills?
- A direct contact with Master Kongling?
Go to our Patreon page and choose a training plan: starting from the Practitioner level, you will gain access to all this and much more.
Inside each Premium Lesson, you will receive the same teaching (practices, tips, concepts, small secrets and corrections) reserved to the live students of Master Kongling.
Important - Once a certain number of registrations are reached, no other participants can be accepted. For more information write to: [email protected].