Rationality and instinct can and must work together to help us achieve our goals in combat, in training and especially in our everyday lives.
To fully understand what it means to subdue emotions to our purposes, however, we need to go more into practice by exposing active / passive examples of emotional development.
We start with some natural and consequential behaviors (but totally damaging and counterproductive):
- We are locked by a lever of the opponent and we react developing fear (a fighter who is afraid is a wrestler defeated, our moves become insecure, we only try to limit damages, we are lost)
- The adversary broke our teeth, we feel pain / desire to rival so we are hangry (we forget every tactic, our attacks become predictable, energy-consuming, our chances to prevail drastically decrease)
- Our body is cooling because of the stiffness of the climate, so let our mental state shift to sadness (we risk freezing, our arts cool down, the movements become less energetic)
- We are not able to perform a training exercise in the correct way and we are unconsciously depressed (the quality of our actions worsens, the concentration goes away, we are tempted to quit)
Let’s see now some positive and active examples:
- We have desires / behaviors that go against what we think right, so we give them the role of subject of rational fear and we free ourselves (irrational fears are not to be used, we must free from them, more about this later)
- The climate is very hot, “we set” our mind on depression (our body automatically cools and stops burning unnecessary calories)
- We’ve finished fighting energy and we’re succumbing, we draw strength from anger (body gets warm, we recover strength for the last set of attacks, every movement will include the muscle chain, we have one last chance)
- Our workout is poor, we are not giving good performance, we start then to bring power from hatred (the excessive relaxation disappears, the body returns to the right tension, the mind back focuses on the target, etc.)
To effectively apply each of the applications described above, we must first learn the most difficult thing, recognize and control our emotional iterations, plus:
- Do not forget to use only mental structures that we can release immediately and that do not leave negative traces of any kind
- Remember to force the immediate abandonment of the service-emotion (primarily not to make it become chronic and secondly not to limit its effectiveness over time through its abuse)
- Always play attention to do not sum / mix similar emotions (abandoning quickly what is not unique, clear and well defined is much more difficult)
- Understand that controlling our mind is possible but very difficult, especially in a stress scenario
Also if it may seem incredible, these are just some of the things that an advanced psyche control can make us do.
In the next articles in this series we will see some specific exercises to actively and practically control the changes from a neutral mental state to others positive / negative (a process that is far from easy).
Author: Master Kongling
Founder of 6 Dragons Kung Fu.
How to master 6 Dragons Kung Fu?
Are you searching for:
- Daily training exercises?
- Synthetic theory and concepts?
- A step by step path from white to black belt?
- A path (clear, consequential and gradual) designed to build real martial skills?
- A direct contact with Master Kongling?
Go to our Patreon page and choose a training plan: starting from the Practitioner level, you will gain access to all this and much more.
Inside each Premium Lesson, you will receive the same teaching (practices, tips, concepts, small secrets and corrections) reserved to the live students of Master Kongling.
Important - Once a certain number of registrations are reached, no other participants can be accepted. For more information write to: [email protected].