How to hide our presence
In any circumstance, the most effective way to hide our presence (as Ninjutsu teaches us) is to:
- Get in harmony with nature, with the surrounding environment
- Abandon our human form and becoming “nothing” (nothing of relevant)
Note – This article has been asked by one of our Core Course practitioners on Patreon (see how to attend our home study classes here Learn Kung Fu online: a beginner-to-expert course).
To become invisible, we do not necessarily have to do not be seen, heard (etc.): we must rather leave the times and spaces that (sensitively and logically) can identify our essence as an object of attention.
A note by Master Kongling – Invisibility is a matter of patience (read Patience), exercise and cunning (discipline, preparation and concentration).
What makes a human recognizable even in low light conditions
To learn how to hide in the shadows, we must first understand what uniquely describes a human being, even in conditions of low illumination (read Invisibility: the best night stealth color). In this regard, let’s see some of the most common traces and happenings that can reveal our presence:
- Poses and positions – The vision (active or passive, read The overall view: see everything, do not look at anything) of a figure in a pose / location common to mankind (eg. flattened against a wall) easily catch even the attention of the more distracted observer; the mind tends to convert even animal / inanimate forms to human figures (eg. some road signs during the night)
- Mimic and movements – The perception of articulation’s movement that we are extremely accustomed to (eg. walking) makes us identifiable even in limited visibility scenarios (or from a shadow, a reflection, etc.); especially the cyclical motions are very easy to be identified (eg. breathing)
- Contrasts – The chromatic, auditive and / or logical contrasts in relation to the environment / context in which we are, attract inevitably the mind of those we are hiding from (eg. a few centimeters of a green mimetic t-shirt in an office, read Create a custom mimetic suit: colors and realization); in each scenario there are wearings, attitudes (etc.) common, acceptable, unusual and some other that are simply impossible
- Paths an passages – Even only the space-time logic of the habitual / forced passages of a human being, combined with the suspicion of a possible presence, can in many cases be decisive in making us discovered; to make an example, in the presence of a bridge over a swirling stream, those who have no tactical preparation, expect that a human being will pass over it and not under it (or through the water, the surrounding trees, etc.)
- Audio flows – The regular cadence of similar sounds (footsteps, breaths, etc.) commonly associated with a human being (or anyway, to an animal being able to harm) quickly identify us as a threat with a high degree of certainty (read Invisibility: how to hide heavy breathing)
- Smells – At a short distance and / or in the presence of particularly trained / sensitive persons, an intense smell (sweat, perfume, tobacco, etc.) may inevitably be an attraction for the attention; the more the stimulus is strong an particular the more it will attract the attention
- Routine interruptions – The interruption of a routine (eg. standing still in a place where everyone is walking) or an irregular variation of the environment (eg. footsteps of feet on the snow, a curved shape in a context where all shapes are straight) can also be the cause of a great logical alarm (read Avert dangers: the concept of constant attention)
- Logics – In a lot of cases, the motive is what causes people to be discovered (we look for water because we are thirsty, we cross the exit because we want to leave a place, etc.); as long as our actions are connected to what others expect from us (or those like us), there will always be the possibility of being expected rather than discovered
- The random factor – Last but not least, we can be noticed for (apparently) irrational reasons (sometimes, we took all the possible precautions but they were useless); if it is true that everything has a logic it is at the same time true that not always we have time, knowledge and intelligence to understand and prevent it; the point is that any stealth strategy / technique can fail and we must be prepared to adapt / react
Naturally, to these examples, of course, must be added the combination (even partial) of several elements, which, connected together, produce a precise identification of our presence / displacement.
The consequences of an error
In stealth terms, when we make an error, there can be 2 types of reactions:
- To cause a dub – We have drawn attention but we have not yet been discovered (eg. we have caused a single suspect sound); in this case, we have to carefully assess the situation and choose whether to move away or maintain the position (eg. waiting for the necessary time to lower the alert level again)
- To cause a certainty – It is what we do not want, giving the certainty of being in our position will cause a direct reaction related to us; in this situation, we have to leave or directly face the persons we are hiding from
A note by Master Kongling – To cause an intentional dub (eg. in the wrong direction) can be a good way to induce the people we want to hide from leaving a position or carrying out a specific action favorable to us.
In the next article of this series, we will see how to overcome these problems and how to do not be identified.
- Be invisible in the crowd: preparation and clothing – How to do not be noticed and disappear in the crowd
- Stealth walking: Technique 1 – How to walk without getting caught
Reply in the comments and share your experience:
- Have you ever tried to hide your presence to other people?
Author: Master KonglingFounder of 6 Dragons Kung Fu.
How to master 6 Dragons Kung Fu?
Are you searching for:
- Daily training exercises?
- Synthetic theory and concepts?
- A step by step path from white to black belt?
- A path (clear, consequential and gradual) designed to build real martial skills?
- A direct contact with Master Kongling?
Go to our Patreon page and choose a training plan: starting from the Practitioner level, you will gain access to all this and much more.
Inside each Premium Lesson, you will receive the same teaching (practices, tips, concepts, small secrets and corrections) reserved to the live students of Master Kongling.
Important - Once a certain number of registrations are reached, no other participants can be accepted. For more information write to: [email protected].