The secret to build real speed
Note – This article has been asked by one of our Core Course practitioners on Patreon (see how to attend our home study classes here Learn Kung Fu online: a beginner-to-expert course).
The idea behind this practice is to start to condition those parts of the body that normally are trained only in terms of strength, in terms of speed.
The areas we are talking about are the ones that are near our center of gravity (read How to improve balance: tricks and exercises) and therefore, inevitably, the slower ones.
How to execute the vibration’s practice
Here’s how to perform it:
- Let’s eliminate any constraint, let’s wear comfortable clothes (baggy if possible) and let’s free our feet from the shoes
- Even if this practice is not so demanding let’s do a proper warm-up and stretching (read How to correctly perform warm-up and How to correctly perform stretching)
- Let’s choose an environment without obstacles, let’s free our mind and relax the body
- Every vibration that we are going to do must be repeated at least 25-50 times
- For the first sessions, let’s maintain “rigid” the body parts that we want to vibrate
- Each series has to be performed at increasing speed / intensity (for a total time of 10-20 minutes)
A note by Master Kongling – This exercise, depending on the intensity we choose (read Intensity of training: depends on what?) is at everyone’s reach and it is a good starting point for those who have never trained or that are totally out of shape (read How to start practicing from scratch).
These are the three of the most basic single vibrations:
- Full body vertical vibration I – By standing and without detaching our feet from the ground, let’s vibrate our whole body up and down (with particular attention to the abdomen and chest) as if we wanted to jump (the arms can help the motion or even remain stationary); in this case, the movement starts from the knees
- 1 leg vibration – Balanced on one leg, we have to vibrate the other one laterally as to kick; let’s concentrate the vibration on the knee
- Head vibration I – By standing (with the rest of the body still), we vibrate our head to the right and to the left on the Y-axis focusing on the jaw motion (as to say “no”); let’s pay particular attention to this practice if we have neck problems (in this case let’s move slowly the first weeks)
A note by Master Kongling – This type of exercises, even if it may seem unusual, is the cornerstone of our approach to the maximum speed that our body can express in combat; at the beginning, we do not have the complete view but after some time that we will perform this type of practice, its value will become more and more clear.
In the next article of this series, we will see the asynchronous vibration, the circular ones and the evolution of these exercises.
In-depth video courses
- Advanced speed and reflexes training – A video course about how to develop combat speed (exercises, tricks and practical explanations)
- Back and Neck pain treatment – How to overcome the most common cervical-related problems
- Speed and quickness – The important difference between being fast and being fast in combat
- 6 Dragons Kung Fu exercises’ characteristics – The common points of effectiveness of our school practices
Reply in the comments and share your experience:
- Can you make the vibrations without interruptions and maintaining the same speed?
Author: Master KonglingFounder of 6 Dragons Kung Fu.
How to master 6 Dragons Kung Fu?
Are you searching for:
- Daily training exercises?
- Synthetic theory and concepts?
- A step by step path from white to black belt?
- A path (clear, consequential and gradual) designed to build real martial skills?
- A direct contact with Master Kongling?
Go to our Patreon page and choose a training plan: starting from the Practitioner level, you will gain access to all this and much more.
Inside each Premium Lesson, you will receive the same teaching (practices, tips, concepts, small secrets and corrections) reserved to the live students of Master Kongling.
Important - Once a certain number of registrations are reached, no other participants can be accepted. For more information write to: [email protected].