A low-cost wooden dummy substitute in PVC
As every Kung Fu practitioner knows (especially who study Wing Chun or Jeet Kune Do), the wooden dummy (Muk Yan Jong or Mu Ren Zhuang) is a fantastic and fundamental training tool but in most of the cases is very expensive. It is for this reason that we have loved the idea of a PVC made wooden dummy’s substitute (for beginners)
- It has a very low cost accessible to everyone
- It is relatively easy to build
A note by Master Kongling – These kind of training dummies are good for every martial art (from Wing Chun to 6 Dragons Kung Fu, Karate, etc.), so we have decided to write this “review”, to have a “deeper” look at advantages and disadvantages (the original idea was on kungfu2u.com but the website, unfortunately, has disappeared).
PVC version of the wooden dummy: advantages
- It is good to get familiar with the basic movements (not with the feeling)
- It is absolutely low-cost (it is impossible to spend less than this)
- It is waterproof (it can be installed outside of a covered area, for example in a meadow)
- Easily portable / removable (it can be assembled and disassembled wherever)
- No need for special skills or technical tools (it is assemblable almost by anyone)
- It can be replaced / repaired easily (if it is damaged it is not a serious problem)
- The compositive parts can be found by anyone (in any construction warehouse or with recycled parts)
Not a professional tool: the disadvantages
- It is very light and then slightly unstable (in each of its parts, arms, core structure, etc.)
- It does not simulate the weight-resistance of a human body (this is why the wooden dummy is made of wood)
- It is not suitable for those who want to work on weight exchange, the inertia of movements, etc. (for example in Wing Chun, in most cases, the idea is to push away the opponents and not limiting to play with his limbs)
- It is not suitable for those who are able to hit solid surfaces at high power and want to work on advanced conditioning (read Conditioning check for the impact)
- It has extremely limited longevity (the holes tend to rapidly be damaged)
A few ideas to improve this PVC version of the wooden dummy
Let’s see some possible improvements:
- The lower part should be bigger to have better stability
- The lower part must be ballasted with sandbags or stone blocks (at least 60 Kg)
- The lower tubes and the middle may be partially filled with thick sand (gravel or other filling materials)
- Holes can be protected / reinforced with hard rubber or elastic glue
- The holes of the protruding limbs can be closed by felt pads for chairs / tables (a sort of plastic plugs)
- The protruding limbs should cross the central body not only frontally but even from behind
- The protruding limbs should be locked by various vertical nails (internal and external) to prevent them from moving too much
- Some parts may be replaced or reinforced with alternative materials (even if this could mean to possess advanced working skills and / or machines)
- Legs for chairs or pre-made tables could be used instead of PVC arms
A note by Master Kongling – An advanced practitioner cannot substitute the wooden dummy with this hand-made tool but nothing avoid him to adopt it as an alternative training option for different purposes (read The use of unorthodox methods) or as a portable version (for demonstrations, theoretical explanations, etc.).
In the next article of this series, we will see how to build this dummy (read How to build a Wing Chun wooden dummy in PVC).
In-depth video courses
- Chin Na: Principles and Learning – Everything you need to know to learn the Chin Na techniques (joint levers, etc.)
- Basic 6 Dragons Kung Fu Exercises – A set of selected exercises functional to the development of rela martial skills
- The 6DKF’s PVC wooden dummy – a Reactive hand-made substitute version of the wood dummy
- 6DKF’s speed training with the wooden dummy – 6DKF has his own specific wooden dummy and its uses are endless
Reply in the comments and share your experience:
- Have you ever used a real wooden dummy? What would you recommend as an improvement?
Author: Master Kongling
Founder of 6 Dragons Kung Fu.
How to master 6 Dragons Kung Fu?
Are you searching for:
- Daily training exercises?
- Synthetic theory and concepts?
- A step by step path from white to black belt?
- A path (clear, consequential and gradual) designed to build real martial skills?
- A direct contact with Master Kongling?
Go to our Patreon page and choose a training plan: starting from the Practitioner level, you will gain access to all this and much more.
Inside each Premium Lesson, you will receive the same teaching (practices, tips, concepts, small secrets and corrections) reserved to the live students of Master Kongling.
Important - Once a certain number of registrations are reached, no other participants can be accepted. For more information write to: [email protected].