The wooden dummy is already in itself a very suitable tool for the development of precision matched with speed, the only flaw is its non-reactivity, it is an immovable object.
In 6DKF it is then inserted (in some exercises) a variant to the classic Wing Chun training:
- We take an elastic string (or a strap or what we find) and fissiamola to the top of the wooden dummy (see the photo)
- Let’s connect the rope to a speedball almost deflated (if it inflates the exercise loses some of its value)
- The speedball must fall at a height that is close but not touching the leg of the wooden dummy (otherwise the swing will be hampered)
- Let’s extract, if possible, the third main arm of the wooden dummy (it hinders the motion of speedball)
- If our wooden dummy is mobile (not attached to the wall), spostiamolo at the center of a room (or at least let’s make sure we can even go at its back)
- We have to hit with punches, kicks, elbows, knees (etc.) the upper limbs of the wooden dummy (with the idea to parry the blows)
- After having saved the hypothetical attacks of the two limbs, let’s hit the trunk of the wooden dummy
- In the same time, every time the ball arrives we have to discontinue our scheme, strike and return to where we left off
- The speedball must be hit while it is in the air and/or in motion (even several times in sequence)
- Let’s try as much as possible to bring combined attacks, sequential, multiple and especially to make simultaneous parades and attacks
- We must not stand still in front of the wooden dummy we must advance, step back, get in, get out (etc.)
- We have to try to do everything as fast as our body allows us to effectively hit, with precision and releasing the right power
- We have to hold an high speed, let’s use the breath to force our fighting trend (see the article “
A breathing exercise to develop the chain’s 6DKF muscle”)
- Once we understand the actions-reactions we can also begin to struggle with different patterns (but always with the idea to fight with a real opponent)
- We have to never stop fighting until the time of execise ends (from 10 minutes to 2 hours, even if the speedball will be locked by the wooden dummy arms)
- If we want to make the exercise more interesting, we can remove the back blocks of wooden dummy arts as they will slip out during combat (we will have to stop them from going down in real time)
- Who has not conditioned his body needs to wear gloves and / or to cover with soft protection the wooden dummy
- We have to release only explosive force, we opt for whiplash, let’s do not accompany the hits in this exercise
We choose to add a speedball to the wooden dummy not only to work with speed, reflexes and precision but, also, to force the practitioner to hit at the same time 2 very different type of materials (with very different reactions to the hits).
Author: Master Kongling
Founder of 6 Dragons Kung Fu.