Lesson 5 – Basic physical preparation: the breakfalls
At the base of everything
After mentioning the rudiments of psychological self-defense, let’s start talking about the physical defense. The first category of techniques that every practitioner must learn and master is that of controlled falls (breakfalls). In this lesson we will see:
- What are they
- What are they for
- How do they work
- How to train them
6 Dragons Kung Fu has various techniques of controlled fall, the ones that we will see:
- Are very effective and, with the right training, they are within everyone’s reach
- Do not require the same athletic level as the more advanced ones
How to fall without getting hurt
The breakfalls are techniques that, during a fight (on the street or in a ring) or even an accidental happening (losing balance on a slippery surface, etc.), put you in a condition to:
- Break the falls by dispersing the impact energy
- Get to the ground without suffering (serious) damage
- Protect the most delicate parts of your body
- Reach advantageous positions (advanced level)
The concepts that unite the biggest part of the controlled fallings that you will study (from the simplest to the most acrobatic ones), are discussed in the article The fundamental concepts of the fallings and the learning path in What are breakfalls and how to learn them.
The three basic techniques
In order to be prepared for the overwhelming majority of the combat situations you will face (in the street, in a sporting competition, etc.), these three simple techniques are more than sufficient:
Their learning path is relatively simple but what you need to really focus on is to condition your body to their perfect execution:
- In terms of instinctive speed in the arrangement of the body
- In terms of conditioning the impacts of the parties involved
- In terms of coordination in the execution of the right movements
Remember: without this kind of preparation, knowing only at a theoretical level these techniques is almost useless.
- Physical conditioning: how it works – A general introduction to the idea of body conditioning
- Conditioning check for the impact – A discussion about everything is related to the resistance conditioning
Author: Master Kongling
Founder of 6 Dragons Kung Fu.
How to master 6 Dragons Kung Fu?
Are you searching for:
- Daily training exercises?
- Synthetic theory and concepts?
- A step by step path from white to black belt?
- A path (clear, consequential and gradual) designed to build real martial skills?
- A direct contact with Master Kongling?
Go to our Patreon page and choose a training plan: starting from the Practitioner level, you will gain access to all this and much more.
Inside each Premium Lesson, you will receive the same teaching (practices, tips, concepts, small secrets and corrections) reserved to the live students of Master Kongling.
Important - Once a certain number of registrations are reached, no other participants can be accepted. For more information write to: [email protected].