The secret of power punching
With this tutorial we continue the series about the basics of fighting, before continuing, anyway, it is important to see the past explanations:
- Guard stance (see The perfect fighting stance (video))
- Clenching the fist (see How to clench my fist to punch (video))
In the most practical possible way, we want to see how to throw a punch (read How to punch (simple explanation)) using the incredible strength increaser of the muscle chain (read Use the body power: the muscle chain).
How to punch using 2 kinetic chains: the technique
In 6 Dragons Kung Fu, we recognize various types of muscle chains to load the power but the first 2 are the most simple and in this case, we will use both of them:
- The vertical muscle chain
- The horizontal muscle chain
A note by Master Kongling – A lot of combat systems recognize only a single muscle chain (and it is not wrong) but being able to train (and use) them even separately, their division helps the beginners to stress the importance of each of these sequences.
The vertical muscle chain’s path that loads the power:
We start from a good guard stance (read also How to rapidly learn Kung Fu: guard stance):
- The power starts from the back foot
- It passes through the leg
- Arrives to the hips
- Passes through the chest
- Cross the shoulder
- Reach the arm
- Finally, the energy is released by the fist
The second muscle chain, the horizontal one:
At the same time, in addition to the first path, we add a horizontal one:
- The rotation (and bending) of the front leg
- The loading of the other arm that pushes the shoulders
- The rotation of the shoulders themselves
All of this, if done correctly, amplifies exponentially the power we can release.
How to learn to build a muscle chain for punching
To learn how to punch correctly is a matter of life-time; it is not something we can learn watching a video or reading an article, we have to train a lot:
- Starting by building a stable guard stance
- Building the muscle chain one piece at the time
- Focusing on the passage / increasing of the strength (through our body)
- Avoid combat errors difficult to correct at a later time (we do not have to forget that this is not an athletic performance, we are preparing ourselves for combat)
3 of the most common errors
To face the errors is almost always a good thing (read Measure ourselves with errors) but avoiding these mistakes is fundamental to do not create serious gaps in our martial preparation.
- When we punch, let’s try to avoid loading movements
- We are telegraphing our intentions
- If we punch (kick, etc.), we always have to go in a single direction, the one of our target
- If we do even a small backward motion, a prepared opponent will immediately know we will attack with that limb
- We have to go, simply go, in one direction
- When we punch we must not deconstruct our structure
- We have to remain closed in our guard as much as possible
- We have to open only when at the last moment of the attack
- When we punch (or we execute any other technique) we always have to cure the recovery movements
- We always have to turn back at the same speed which we have used to go
- At the end of each attacking sequence, we have to learn to immediately return in a safe guard stance
- Any type of action we perform in combat, we always have to start from a stable guard stance and arrive to a stable guard stance
A few conclusive considerations:
- This is not a complete explanation of how to punch, it would require an entire book (breathing, loading methods, impact methods, targets, trajectories, tactical tips, conditioning, rooting, etc.)
- The kinetic chain we have described works at the highest level of effectiveness only if there are no vibrations, stiffness or slowdown of the flow, the motion must be a harmonical increasing otherwise the power accumulated will disperse during the path
In the next tutorials of this series, we will publish more explanations about punching and in general, about how to fight.
In-depth video courses
- Basic free hand fighting techniques – The complete explanation of all the core techniques of 6 Dragons Kung Fu
- How to punch faster – A mini guide to build speed of execution that increases with training
- Exercise 1 for the abs to develop the muscle chain – An exercise to learn to transfer the strength through our body
- Kung Fu rooting: the pyramid concept – A necessary condition to correctly load the punching (and not only) power
Reply in the comments and share your experience:
- Can you maintain the flow stable?
Author: Master KonglingFounder of 6 Dragons Kung Fu.
How to master 6 Dragons Kung Fu?
Are you searching for:
- Daily training exercises?
- Synthetic theory and concepts?
- A step by step path from white to black belt?
- A path (clear, consequential and gradual) designed to build real martial skills?
- A direct contact with Master Kongling?
Go to our Patreon page and choose a training plan: starting from the Practitioner level, you will gain access to all this and much more.
Inside each Premium Lesson, you will receive the same teaching (practices, tips, concepts, small secrets and corrections) reserved to the live students of Master Kongling.
Important - Once a certain number of registrations are reached, no other participants can be accepted. For more information write to: [email protected].