We have seen the various types of improper combat tools and what to assess in their choice, let’s see now what are the ideal characteristics for the choice of an “improvised” weapon.
Some premises (please read carefully):
- The 6DKF martial art is committed to peace and that it repudiates violence, the study of warrior skills are only aimed at giving an outlet controlled the negative part of the human being in order to give precedence to the positive
- The 6DKF do not encourage to use weapons (proper/improper) in any case or situation
- The indications are not to be taken literally but serve to give us the ability to develop the “glance” (personal assessment always prevails)
- Not all weapons are meant to physically harm the opponent (sometimes they can serve only to distract him, immobilize, create fear, etc.)
Here are our indicative parameters.
The best rigid weapons (by impact, cutting or penetration) are those that:
- They have a weight ranging from 0.1kg (a pen) to a maximum of 4kg (a very strong stick)
- They have a length ranging from 12cm (a kubotan) to a maximum of 2m (a long stick)
- They have a diameter ranging from 0.5cm to a maximum of 10cm
- They can be challenged with ease and without risk
- They have a good impact resistance
The best flexible weapons (or semi-flexible) are those that:
- They have a weight ranging from 0.1kg (rope) to a maximum of 5kg (heavy chains)
- They have a length ranging from 30cm to a maximum of 3m (dubbed and / or rolled)
- They have a diameter ranging from 0.3cm to a maximum of 5cm
- They resist to the circular motion and to any impacts remaining intact
- They are made of materials (not damaged) elastic and / or very resistant (rope, leather, metal, etc.)
- They have a weight (or a heavier/solid part) by one of the two ends
The best thrown weapons are those that:
- They have a weight ranging from 0.1kg (like shuriken) to a maximum of 25kg (a stone)
- They have a size ranging from 3x3x0.2cm (a coin) to a maximum of 40x40x40cm (a stone)
- They have a structure as regular as possible, symmetrical, balanced and rigid
- They can be handled easily and unpredictably
- They are enough in number to guarantee us more shots
- They have protuberances accentuated and / or sharp parts
The best flexible weapons for immobilisation (direct use) are those that:
- They have a length ranging from 60cm (pendant) to a maximum of 12m (long cord)
- They are very durable and hard to break
- They can be tied effectively
- They are very subtle and difficult to grasp for the opponent
The best rigid weapons for immobilization (indirect use) are those that:
- They have a weight that starts from double of the opponent’s weight (to stop him or simply to slow down him)
- They have such a size / shape that it can not be grasped / removed smoothly
The best weapons to distract are those that:
- They have scattering properties (sand, water, etc.) or a large volume
- They remain long in flight (flour, smoke, etc.)
- They attract the attention inevitably (fire, flash, etc.)
- They envolve as much senses as possibles (first of all sight, instinctive thinking and hearing)
- They can be used by surprise in front of the opponent
The best enhancement weapons are those that:
- They can be grasped firmly and safely (the opponent should not be able to remove them)
- They has to be very stable (no bounces, vibrations, etc.)
- On impact they are, at least, 70% harmful to the opponent and, at most, 30% harmful for us
The best weapons of pure deterrence are those that:
- Evoke in the opponent’s mind terror of adverse developments in the short or long term
- True or false, they are credible and well recognizable by the opponent
Finally, we want to stress that the use of a weapon, of whatever kind, is dangerous for us and for others and is the last option in a life or death situation in which it is impossible to escape (as we repeated infinite times, the use of violence is the worst humiliation for a man but in particular for a practitioner).
Author: Master Kongling
Founder of 6 Dragons Kung Fu.
How to master 6 Dragons Kung Fu?
Are you searching for:
- Daily training exercises?
- Synthetic theory and concepts?
- A step by step path from white to black belt?
- A path (clear, consequential and gradual) designed to build real martial skills?
- A direct contact with Master Kongling?
Go to our Patreon page and choose a training plan: starting from the Practitioner level, you will gain access to all this and much more.
Inside each Premium Lesson, you will receive the same teaching (practices, tips, concepts, small secrets and corrections) reserved to the live students of Master Kongling.
Important - Once a certain number of registrations are reached, no other participants can be accepted. For more information write to: [email protected].