Martial arts touch on extremely serious aspects of life of a human being (life, death, law, temperament, injuries, etc.), we can not under any circumstances give our trust to the wrong person.
A good teacher must not only master what his style but also maintain the right mental disposition, with respect to: content, students and all the things that gravitated around them; in this regard we we want to share some ideas (they are not the only ones) of what to look for in a master worthy of this name.
How he lives martial arts:
- He do not live in (his) past and he is able to keep abreast, both inside and outside of his style
- If the body and age allow him, he exercises himself regularly
- He always tries to improve and never feels arrived
- He sees in his students the continuity of style and not his audience
- He has no preconceptions, he has an open mind to the comparison with other styles
How he relates with his students:
- Do not give anything for granted, he gives importance both to the overview both to the detail
- He listens to the demands and needs of his students with availability
- He is honest and does not illudes his students (endangering their safety)
- He encourage students to become better day by day, to practice more and better
- He encourage students to do their experiences outside of his circle
- He encourage his students to experience firsthand the goodness of what it claims
- He does not limits the ability growth of his students to below himself
- He does not hide to his students risks in applying what he teaches
- He never belittles nor even offends his students
- He is able to give trust and respect in a real way
How he teaches:
- He focuses to make his students better than him (thus giving continuity to the style)
- He is not selfish, it does not pretend secrecy and promotes the spread of what he teaches
- He teaches what he know and what he has experimented in with the practice
- When he teach theory that he has not mastered / tested, he emphasizes it
- He teach with his example, a straight way, consistent and honest
- He do not impoverish the style he teaches leaving out the most difficult parts
- He is constantly careful not to cause physical or moral harm to his students
- He gives his best but he does not transform the lesson in a personal exhibition
- He know how to convey what it teaches from many angles and points of view
- He is generous, he teaches with passion, without looking at the clock or the money
His way of being:
- He do not spend his time talking bad about all the other masters (especially his own)
- He reject violence, revenge and anger, rather it embraces dialogue, patience and peace
- He sacrifices himself in order to be available to anyone who asks for help
- He has no pretensions to omniscience and above all is he is not autoreferential
- He is not sectarian nor strutting but humble and willing to discuss
- He never pretends to be sure about what he can not know or prove
- He does not has money or praises as primary goal
- He do not behave so petty (violence, lies, mockery, resentments, etc.)
- He recognize his limits / faults with humility and without frustration
This is the kind of master that is good to follow. We can benefit greatly from the others, learn a lot of things but always keeping the right distance (moral and temporal).
Author: Master KonglingFounder of 6 Dragons Kung Fu.
How to master 6 Dragons Kung Fu?
Are you searching for:
- Daily training exercises?
- Synthetic theory and concepts?
- A step by step path from white to black belt?
- A path (clear, consequential and gradual) designed to build real martial skills?
- A direct contact with Master Kongling?
Go to our Patreon page and choose a training plan: starting from the Practitioner level, you will gain access to all this and much more.
Inside each Premium Lesson, you will receive the same teaching (practices, tips, concepts, small secrets and corrections) reserved to the live students of Master Kongling.
Important - Once a certain number of registrations are reached, no other participants can be accepted. For more information write to: [email protected].