A small preparation for Kung Fu
In the next chapter, we will discuss the foundation of 6 Dragons Kung Fu but first, you need to prepare your body and your mind.
Note – This article has been asked by one of our Core Course practitioners on Patreon (see how to attend our home study classes here Learn Kung Fu online: a beginner-to-expert course).
At this point:
- We assume that you have obtained a positive medical opinion about the possibility to practice martial arts (see Lesson 1.2)
- We assume that you have verified your physical / mental eligibility for the practice of Kung Fu (see Lesson 1.2)
- We assume that you have practiced the exercise proposed in Lesson 1.3 for, at least, 1-2 weeks
- We take for granted that you have found the right time / space / equipment for your Kung Fu practice (see Lesson 1.1)
If you are sure about these assumptions, continue reading to project your next few weeks, otherwise, please step back to the previous lessons.
A note by Master Kongling – I know, a lot of you want to immediately learn how to fight: do not worry, in this course, we will see everything but if we skip these steps your combat skills will be poor (read How to learn faster). In a fight, it is always the fighter who made the deepest and hardest path to win, never the one who has tried all possible shortcuts.
The next step: good and wrong introductory exercises
Once you have reached the basic level of fitness required, we can move on to the first introductory exercises.
Here you can find some useful sample activities good to prepare your body for Kung Fu. You can choose one or more of them and dedicate each day the time you prefer (there are no constraints):
- Running (both fast and slow)
- Jumping (of all kind)
- Swimming (especially breaststroke)
- Cycling (both inside and outside)
- Abs (of all kind)
- Dance (of all kind)
- Soft stretching (read Basic soft stretching)
Especially if you are not an athlete (and not even a sportsman):
- You have to start to move your body but avoiding the sensation of effort (the time to face this will arrive, do not worry)
- Psychologically you need to accustom your mind to the positive effect of training
- In this phase, your training must end with the first sensations of effort
A note by Master Kongling – I know that the excitement of starting leads to exasperating the practice but this is not the time. In 6 Dragons Kung Fu you will get used not only to relieve fatigue / frustration, you will also face the physical pain (read Acceptance and prevention of pain) but, the secret to achieve these results is that everything must be extremely gradual: otherwise you risk to train as a lion for 4-5 days and to abandon the practice the following day.
The physical activities to avoid
After mentioning the useful activities, let’s see now those who (only for the moment) should be avoided:
- Weightlifting (both dynamic and steady)
- Activities related to the fight (sparring, etc.)
- Sports at a competitive level (Tennis, Basket, Football, etc.)
- Extreme stretching (power, ballistic, etc.)
- Weapons exercises (with blades, chains, etc.)
- Too extreme practices (acrobatics, conditioning, etc.)
Last but not list, all those things where the control of effort does not depend on you.
We will talk about this later and in depth but this is a good moment to:
- Have your first approach to 6 Dragons Kung Fu’s meditation (the Meditation method 1 is a good introductory point, perfect for beginners)
- Start to change your mind in relation to your diet (read Qi and proper nutrition)
A note by Master Kongling – Please do not think that meditation is useless, in the advanced part of this Kung Fu course you will need it (to control your body parts, to free your mind during combat, etc.). It is not a matter of hours of practice, if you start with 1 minute, it is more than enough.
- A meditation mini-guide: how to start – A guided path related to meditation in 6 Dragons Kung Fu
- How to use martial arts in a real fight – The only possible way to effectively use martial arts in combat
Author: Master KonglingFounder of 6 Dragons Kung Fu.
How to master 6 Dragons Kung Fu?
Are you searching for:
- Daily training exercises?
- Synthetic theory and concepts?
- A step by step path from white to black belt?
- A path (clear, consequential and gradual) designed to build real martial skills?
- A direct contact with Master Kongling?
Go to our Patreon page and choose a training plan: starting from the Practitioner level, you will gain access to all this and much more.
Inside each Premium Lesson, you will receive the same teaching (practices, tips, concepts, small secrets and corrections) reserved to the live students of Master Kongling.
Important - Once a certain number of registrations are reached, no other participants can be accepted. For more information write to: [email protected].