The characteristics of 6 Dragons Kung Fu’s training
To be able to build a good training plan it is first necessary to understand that:
- You have to train not only your body and your mind but also your mind in relation to your body
- In martial arts, there are endless varieties of possible workouts (and most of them have excellent reasons to exist) but your time s limited and you have to focus your efforts in direction of a specific perspectives
- To be able to excel, you must (gradually) learn to make choices and exclusions (based on your needs)
- Although 6 Dragons Kung Fu includes thousands of different exercises, the biggest part of them are “marginal” (weekly, monthly, etc.)
- The type and intensity of the psychophysical conditioning you will be subjected to, will be strictly related to the goals you have (self-defense, wellness, combat sports, etc.)
Note – This article has been asked by one of our Core Course practitioners on Patreon (see how to attend our home study classes here Learn Kung Fu online: a beginner-to-expert course).
In 6 Dragons Kung Fu’s basic formation, the core training is the same for everyone and is based on 2 exercise categories:
- Basic technical training
- Basic physical workouts
A note by Master Kongling – To have a reference, the majority of the activities included in these 2 groups should be executed every 1-5 days.
1. Basic technical training
These are the 5 core practices (with and without weapons) that distinguish 6 Dragons Kung Fu (read Lesson 2.1):
- Fabric Cloth Training (read Basic tools: the cloth)
- Hanging Speedballs Training (read Basic tools: the hanging speedball)
- Poles Training (read Basic tools: the pole)
- Conditioning (read Physical conditioning: how it works)
- Sparring (read How to do sparring)
Even without learning the fighting techniques of our style, these exercises (and their variants) are (almost) sufficient to create a decent fighter.
Of course, we will not stop here but the central idea of this passage is precisely that of inducing the autonomous development of your own “raw” combat system, leaned on solid bases of direct experience / experimentation (read Lesson 2.1).
A note by Master Kongling – Regarding sparring, we must stress that it is mandatory only for those who want to learn to fight and that it starts only after a specific mental and physical preparation.
2. Basic physical workouts
The physical workouts are much more common but not less important, let’s just mention a few of them:
- Crawl on the ground
- Regeneration exercises
At the heart of the practice inevitably follows the multitude of:
- Secondary physical exercises
- Secondary technical exercises
- Psychological exercises
- Applications of the techniques
- Contextual simulations
- Variants / handicaps to be applied to the previous ones
In the next lesson you will see how to prepare your training sessions and some practical examples.
- How to train in 6DKF: specific exercises – A view of the next phase fundamental exercise categories
- The meaning of sparring fighting in martial arts – The various kind of sparring of 6 Dragons Kung Fu
Author: Master KonglingFounder of 6 Dragons Kung Fu.
How to master 6 Dragons Kung Fu?
Are you searching for:
- Daily training exercises?
- Synthetic theory and concepts?
- A step by step path from white to black belt?
- A path (clear, consequential and gradual) designed to build real martial skills?
- A direct contact with Master Kongling?
Go to our Patreon page and choose a training plan: starting from the Practitioner level, you will gain access to all this and much more.
Inside each Premium Lesson, you will receive the same teaching (practices, tips, concepts, small secrets and corrections) reserved to the live students of Master Kongling.
Important - Once a certain number of registrations are reached, no other participants can be accepted. For more information write to: [email protected].