The connection with the ground
When you are a child it is completely normal to stay in close contact with the ground but as you grow, this connection is increasingly missing: let’s see how to recover / improve it.
In terms of ground fighting (before accessing the real technical sector), a good fighter must learn to:
- Rotate on himself
- Run on 4 limbs
- Use the arms like the legs and vice versa
Exercises to get familiar with the ground
A note by Master Kongling – For the Core Course practitioners (see how to attend our home study classes here Learn Kung Fu online: a beginner-to-expert course): let’s always maintain the head raised from the ground.
Let’s see a few simple exercises (the most advanced drills will be described in another chapter) to start to recover the contact with the ground:
- Ground crawling – It teaches you to move rapidly and in a coordinated way (using muscle chain, etc., read for example 5 ground crawling exercises ideal for beginners / warm-up)
- Swing / rotate on the back – In all the directions, trying to make the movement fast, strong but smooth (even in connection with the first 2 basic breakfalls, read Lesson 7.5)
- Gorilla running – Simulating the running of the gorilla (read 4-limbs running exercises ideal for beginners / warm-up) is a perfect way to learn to divide our weight on our limbs and to move using the muscle chain (read Use the body power: the muscle chain)
- Technical exercises – The first 3 fundamental exercises of 6 Dragons Kung Fu (the ones we have described in Lesson 10.1) but remaining on the ground or on 4 limbs
- Rolls – We will see the basic ones in this chapter
A note by Master Kongling – About the technical exercises on the ground, 2 important tips: first, let’s do not try to execute them on the ground if we have never experimented them standing; second, in the beginning, this variant of their practice is extremely energy-consuming, let’s start with slow executions.
The result you have obtained executing the exposed exercise will probably poor but is not important for now: in this lesson, the goal was simply to give an introductive preparation to our body (in the next one, we will see the basics of ground mobility).
In-depth video courses
- Basic 6 Dragons Kung Fu Exercises – A complete explanation of the fundamental technical exercises of 6 Dragons Kung Fu
- The backward breakfall – How to cushion a falling backward
- The lateral breakfall – How to cushion a falling laterally
Reply in the comments and share your experience:
- How long can you resist the 6 Dragons Kung Fu exercises on the ground?
Author: Master KonglingFounder of 6 Dragons Kung Fu.
How to master 6 Dragons Kung Fu?
Are you searching for:
- Daily training exercises?
- Synthetic theory and concepts?
- A step by step path from white to black belt?
- A path (clear, consequential and gradual) designed to build real martial skills?
- A direct contact with Master Kongling?
Go to our Patreon page and choose a training plan: starting from the Practitioner level, you will gain access to all this and much more.
Inside each Premium Lesson, you will receive the same teaching (practices, tips, concepts, small secrets and corrections) reserved to the live students of Master Kongling.
Important - Once a certain number of registrations are reached, no other participants can be accepted. For more information write to: [email protected].