In the 6DKF the construction of the iron palm is (as already mentioned) the result of a long process of improving, mental (concentration, etc.) and physical (conditoning, etc.); in short, we must treat the evolution of:
- A passive structure (hardening of the bones, muscles, etc.)
- An active structure (the control of breathing, Qi, etc.)
In this regard a proper iron palm research includes:
- Diluted exercises at regular intervals within our workout
- Progressive exercises (with eventual steps back)
- Reasonable recovery times for our hands
- Constant attention to what our body tells us
- Specific treatments of our skin with ointments and self-massage
- No period of inactivity for our hands (in advanced ages it can be dangerous)
A correct practice allows us to avoid:
- Chronic rheumatic pain (eg. at the variation of air humidity)
- To have an outer layer of calluses and skin deformations
- To lose tactile sensitivity
- The damage in a severe way bone, muscle, etc.
With this in mind we must establish a process of conditioning / strengthening aimed at specific goals through activities commensurate to our level; here are the different types of exercises essential to our purpose:
- Breaking / penetration / striking
- Tension / relaxation / resistance
- Concatenation / harmonization of movements
- Breathing and Qi Management
- Pain control, limitation and tolerance
Gradually we will see them all; in the next article we will see exercises combined with surfaces to be beaten.
Author: Master Kongling
Founder of 6 Dragons Kung Fu.