How to reach the highest level of preparation
The training method of 6 Dragons Kung Fu has been specifically developed:
- To create a connection between the various types of practice
- To measure and increase every day our capabilities
- To preserve each day enough energies to improve
- To maintain high the level of concentration
- For long but balanced workout sessions
Note – This article has been asked by one of our Core Course practitioners on Patreon (see how to attend our home study classes here Learn Kung Fu online: a beginner-to-expert course).
How to train to obtain the best results
Important – This article has been written only for those who want to reach the best possible martial quality. The study of our Kung Fu can be faced at different levels: the one we are going to talk about is the most demanding.
From the physical point of view, the best results are achieved by:
- Training as many body elements as possible (but without invalidating anyone, read Same exercises, different execution)
- Changing continuously the type of practice (every 5-10 minutes or inserting variations, read 6 Dragons Kung Fu training sessions’ structure)
- Measuring the quality of our martial performances (read Measure, analyze and eliminate defects)
- Adapting the total weight of each session to our conditions (read How to train with perseverance)
- Increasing gradually but every day our effort (read Intensity of training: depends on what?)
- Curing our diet (eating correctly and drinking a lot of water, read Qi and proper nutrition)
- Executing long workout sessions (3-4 hours / day, read Tips on how to stretch our training times)
A note by Master Kongling – Do not be scared by the 3 hours per day, it may appear an exaggeration, impossible to include in our daily lives but it is not (read Practical examples of daily training time subdivision). The point is that each skill needs no more than 5-10 minutes per day but they are a lot (read All the skills of 6 Dragons Kung Fu) and if we want to develop them all, this is the minimum requirement.
On the other side, mentally, the best way to master 6 Dragons Kung Fu is to:
- Be always motivated (we start from passion to arrive at self-discipline, read also Workout music: how, when, why)
- Be very far from daily life problems (read Concentration and abstraction in combat)
- Face our limits and mistakes with rationality (being humble and ready to change / experiment, read Measure ourselves with errors)
- Learn to distinguish mental boredom from physical exhaustion (both of them are mortal enemies of our martial evolution)
A note by Master Kongling – Boredom is not dangerous but can destroy all of our efforts by inducing us to leave the martial practice (it can be faced by maintaining our mind occupied with complex and / or simultaneous tasks). Real physical exhaustion is instead dangerous because it could lead us to chronic weakness, needs for long recovery times and especially to accidents (after the first few errors, we must learn to precisely perceive the state of our body and to understand when to give up, even if mentally we would be enthusiasts to continue).
The characteristics of high-level 6 Dragons Kung Fu training
Starting from the fact that we must never force our bodies to do what is beyond their possibilities, in our school:
- We always aim to go a step beyond our limit (power, speed, precision, etc. but, just after, we have to stop and change exercise)
- The idea is to train the whole for a long time and alternately, in order to obtain a gradual but effective and consistent growth
- Ideally, even after a long workout, we should always advance enough energies and spirit for a final battle (a sparring session for example)
- In a 4 hours session, if our pace is correct, our performance should remain high until the third hour (after which, the pace of training needs to slow down)
A note by Master Kongling – Facing the study of our Kung Fu this way, the only period where it is normal to remain painful and lacking strength is the range of time between the initial approach to the next 12 months (the beginner’s awakening phase, read How to start practicing from scratch).
A few basic and simple examples to understand what we are talking about:
- If we have performed 10 minutes of kicking, let’s spend 10 minutes with punches
- If we have worked with weights, let’s pass to free body
- If we have worked on speed, lets’ pass to strength
A few conclusive but important tips:
- What we must insist on is self-discipline, it is the only key to reach all of our goals (read Motivation: from passion to self-discipline)
- Who learns to overcome the 2 and a half hours a day, starts to need his training sessions (this means that if he does not practice, he has an excess of energies)
- After 1 year, a practitioner who trains 3-4 hours a day, rapidly become able to withstand 6-8 hours up to 14-16 hours (for occasional special sessions)
- Over the 5-6 hours / day, the sessions must be 2-3 and very well calibrated (in terms of recovery times, nutrition, intensity, etc.)
- To train more than 7-8 hours per day could be easily deleterious, the body has no time to adapt and therefore is more what we lose than what we gain (ancient Shaolin monks were used to exceed this time but only with more “meditative” practices, stretching, standing stamina, etc., read Standing stamina: what is and its development)
- All these reasoning are for those who search for the hardest level of practice, all the others can benefit from 6 Dragons Kung Fu’s teachings even with 15 minutes per day (if done in the right way, they are enough and in any case, nobody prevents us from gradually increase)
- What leads a practitioner to train beyond a certain amount of hours per day has nothing to do with age / sex (read The right age to start practice), talent (read Natural talent and martial arts) or passion (see The first martial skill to be acquired), it is only about determination
In-depth video courses
- Basic 6 Dragons Kung Fu Exercises – A deep and visual explanation of the core practices of 6 Dragons Kung Fu
- Advanced speed and reflexes training – How to reach the maximum expression of our body speed
- Self-Defense: is it possible to always be ready to fight? – Is it possible to always be ready to face sudden aggression?
- 7 principles to become a better fighter – A few secrets for a consistent combat preparation
Reply in the comments and share your experience:
- How many hours a day do you think you could reach?
Author: Master Kongling
Founder of 6 Dragons Kung Fu.
How to master 6 Dragons Kung Fu?
Are you searching for:
- Daily training exercises?
- Synthetic theory and concepts?
- A step by step path from white to black belt?
- A path (clear, consequential and gradual) designed to build real martial skills?
- A direct contact with Master Kongling?
Go to our Patreon page and choose a training plan: starting from the Practitioner level, you will gain access to all this and much more.
Inside each Premium Lesson, you will receive the same teaching (practices, tips, concepts, small secrets and corrections) reserved to the live students of Master Kongling.
Important - Once a certain number of registrations are reached, no other participants can be accepted. For more information write to: [email protected].