The use of a punching bag
- In the context of a serious workout, the punching bag is one of the most mistreated training tools, so it would be wise to choose one of medium-high quality level
- The primary objective of a punching bag is to train one’s body in striking, everything related to the aesthetic aspect should be secondary
- The protections and precautions to preserve our punching bag should be taken before the occurrence of damage due to wear (rust on the chain, tears, etc.)
- In this article, we will not talk deeply about installation modes and options (we’ll talk about this later)
An intelligent installation of the punching bag
Prevention is always better than cure, especially if the funds at our disposal are limited. 50% of the difference in terms of duration is connected to an internal or external installation.
The risks related to a constant exposition to the elements causes:
- The chain to rust (and in a relatively low time to break)
- The stitches to weaken
- The filling to rot
- The bag to become heavier
- The formation of lumps (if the padding is made with sand)
Internal and external installation
Interior installation is always the best choice (in most cases it doubles the duration of our training tools):
- A damp room – When possible, the punching bag should be hung in a room with a good damp balance (at least inferior to 70%)
- No heat source – The installation place must be away from constant sources of heat
- No obstacles – There must not be touching obstacles or against which the punching bag could clash (a 3x3m free area should be good)
- No unstable supports – The punching bag is designed to be hit at full power and in a continuative way, the support must be fixed to a solid metal structure or screwed into reinforced concrete
Outdoor installation is a qualitatively worse option but often it is a forced solution, so let’s see what precautions to keep:
- No elements exposition – If we do not have the opportunity to place our punching bag internally, at least let’s avoid exposing it directly to the elements (or worse, to leave it to the mercy of insects and animals)
- The ideal place – Installing our punching bag under a porch is it’s a good compromise (but it can also work under a large waterproof tent or other as-much-as-possible ample covering structures)
- Limiting damages – Even under a good cover, the risk of indirect exposure to the elements must be assessed with precision (wind, sunlight, rain, etc.); we have to choose the most protected area possible
- An easily removable structure – Providing an easy removal support allows us to save space and especially to store our punching bag in a safe and dry place at the end of each training session
Protect our punching bag: ordinary maintenance
Here are some simple tips and precautions that can be applied immediately after acquiring the punching bag:
- Oil the chains – The oil prevents the formation of rust and above all extends the life of hooks, chains and metal parts
- Use fabric protectors – These products are made to protect from humidity (eg. Scotchgard) and must be applied regularly to be effective
- Use the duct tape – Although the aesthetic result may not be amazing, covering the seams with multiple crossed turns of duct tape increases exponentially the durability
These pieces of are instead about the ordinary maintenance:
- Keep oiled the metal parts – There is no fixed rule on when / how much to oil (it depends on the frequency of use, atmospheric events, etc.), we have to manually check every week
- Keeping the bag clean – In addition to a hygienic reason, cleaning our punching bag (with a damp cloth) prevents insect infestation and the accumulation of elements that could facilitate the breaking of the external structure
- A regular use – We have to avoid the use weapons, rigid protections or sharp objects of any kind against our punching bag (it may be a choice but we will damage it quickly, even by striking at low intensity)
- Cover it with a tarp – To close our bag (chains included) with a cover that does not allow the humidity to penetrate is a good protection against the influence of various external factors
How to apply duct tape
Apply the duct tape means:
- To make the punching bag more durable (due to the increased elasticity and resistance)
- To maintain its original shape for a longer time (many times, low-level boxing bags quickly deform)
- To solve / prevent all of the most common problems (holes, lacerations, scuffing, etc.)
To correctly apply the duct tape we have to:
- Hang the filled punching bag (in another way it would be very inconvenient to proceed)
- Clean and the dry the external surface of the punching bag (to have maximum adhesion)
- Prevent the punching bag from swinging so as not to hinder our work
- Help ourselves with a solid chair if the punching bag is very long
- Apply the tape leaving no unattached / poorly attached parts
- Cover the seams of the punching bag, first vertically, then horizontally (2-4 turns)
- Cover the lower part of the punching bag, the most subject to weight, with various “X” crossed turns (15-25)
- Cover the middle part of the punching bag, the most stressed, with various turns (10-20)
It must finally be said that some people cover the entire punching bag with the duct tape.
Author: Master Kongling
Founder of 6 Dragons Kung Fu.
How to master 6 Dragons Kung Fu?
Are you searching for:
- Daily training exercises?
- Synthetic theory and concepts?
- A step by step path from white to black belt?
- A path (clear, consequential and gradual) designed to build real martial skills?
- A direct contact with Master Kongling?
Go to our Patreon page and choose a training plan: starting from the Practitioner level, you will gain access to all this and much more.
Inside each Premium Lesson, you will receive the same teaching (practices, tips, concepts, small secrets and corrections) reserved to the live students of Master Kongling.
Important - Once a certain number of registrations are reached, no other participants can be accepted. For more information write to: [email protected].