Is it possible to control what is outside our mind?
Let’s start from a simple statement: we will be never able to control what happens outside of our mind. We can and we must plan our actions (read How to solve any kind of life problem) but there will be always the possibility that something unexpected prevents the things to go the way we want: it is inevitable.
Often the desire to subjugate others, the events and the accidents, is so strong that we forget what is the only thing we can truly aspire to control: the interpretation of the reality we perceive through our mind.
Normally, the change of our mental state in relation to the external events happens spontaneously, for example:
- We are threatened and we are afraid
- Someone make a joke and we laugh
- It’s raining and we are sad
- Someone beat us and we get hangry
The interesting fact is that all this does not happen inevitably (or outside our cognitive range), in most cases it is possible to block or even to alter our natural reactions: it’s all a matter of concentration and training.
The emotional state of a person depends on 2 kinds of psychophysical variables:
- External (eg. interpersonal relationships)
- Internal (eg. the state of our health)
As long as we remain connected to variables (in the meaning of “things that just vary beyond our desire”) we will never be able to take the reins of our mind.
A note by Master Kongling – Every morning, the first phrase that I say to me is: “Never let what is outside my mind to negatively alter what happens inside of it”.
How to get control of our emotions: the anchors
A first solution is to collect and set aside (in our brain) a set of constants:
- Unalterable values residing in our memory
- Unalterable moods belonging to precise moments in the past
- Points of reference that we can call whenever we need
A Note by Master Kongling – In mathematical and computer terms, the concept of “variable” (alterable value) is opposed to that of “constant” (unalterable value).
6 Dragons Kung Fu adopts different methods to control the mind, in this case, we will analyze one that is very simple (but that should be used almost exclusively in emergency situations): we introduce the concept of “anchors”, sensory stimuli that, in case of need, help us to instantly recall a specific emotion.
What are anchors and how they work:
- We have to choose a physical stimulus X at will (eg. pressing a fingernail on a finger, bite the tongue, lick our lips in a certain way, etc.)
- We must avoid things flashy, difficult to reproduce, outside the body or already typical of our everyday life
- Let’s activate the stimulus that we have chosen (the anchor) whenever we find ourselves in the state of mind Y that we want to connect to it
- We want to associate to the stimulus X we have chosen, a Y constant (such as concentration, happiness, excitement, courage, winning attitude, etc.)
- We have to be very precise, if for example we choose happiness, we have to stimulate us whenever we find naturally this condition (when we achieve a result, when we are happy, when we receive a compliment, etc.)
- More times and more consistently we will connect the stimulus X to the constant Y, the more our mind will subconsciously accept to associate the anchor to the chosen mood (as happens, for example, when we eat a food that we like and enjoy)
- The idea is that if we get used to feel a pinch every time we are happy, in the same way, even in a grim situation, at the occurrence of this call, the mind will become positive
- The conditioning should have a period of anchorage (at least) of 1-2 months to operate satisfactorily and with a lot of occasions of “mood registration” (at least 15-20 times)
How to gain the best results:
- The method is simple and works very well but has only one downside, if we abuse of it, the anchor loses effectiveness and its consistency or, worse, it will connect to the opposite of the desired mood (eg. from happiness to sadness)
- This is an emergency method, useful for example in dangerous situations (to call all the concentration and fight to the best of our ability (read Become the absolute zero) but can also serve to pull off an unexpected smile, simulate deep sadness, etc.)
- The idea is to activate the anchor 9 times out of 10 (9 times when we are actually in the state of mind that we want to connect and 1 time on 10 to simulate it)
- Anchors can be alimented also with music (read Workout music: how, when, why), films and real / spontaneous situations in theme with the state of mind we want to instill us
- Anchors work best when accompanied by thoughts and sensory feelings connected with the desired mood (let’s try to use all the possible senses)
- The stronger are the events / situation that we tie to the stimulus the better it will work and last
This method has several applications, for example, it is interesting to point out that it does not just give us the power to control our mental states but even our voluntary and involuntary physical reactions (vomiting, tears, sweat, etc., read Advanced body control) but this is more complex and dangerous, we will tell more about this later.
A Note by Master Kongling – In some cases, an interesting collateral effect may occur: if we succeed (constantly) in positively employing this method we will have less and less need for it; this happens because we automatically enter in a positive spiral where the absence (or rarity) of situations in which our mind is a victim of circumstances will make us feel much stronger and more confident in ourselves.
I the next article of this series, we will see how to use another type of anchors (without conditioning, if you want us to give priority to this topic read Learn Kung Fu online: request a specific article).
- Mind skills: what we will learn – What 6 Dragons Kung Fu develops in terms of mind skills
- How to always be ready to fight – Even for the best possible warrior it is very hard to always be ready to defend
Reply in the comments and share your experience:
- What difficulties do you encounter in creating anchors?
Author: Master Kongling
Founder of 6 Dragons Kung Fu.
How to master 6 Dragons Kung Fu?
Are you searching for:
- Daily training exercises?
- Synthetic theory and concepts?
- A step by step path from white to black belt?
- A path (clear, consequential and gradual) designed to build real martial skills?
- A direct contact with Master Kongling?
Go to our Patreon page and choose a training plan: starting from the Practitioner level, you will gain access to all this and much more.
Inside each Premium Lesson, you will receive the same teaching (practices, tips, concepts, small secrets and corrections) reserved to the live students of Master Kongling.
Important - Once a certain number of registrations are reached, no other participants can be accepted. For more information write to: [email protected].