Is it possible to start to train at a high-level from home?
The answer is not easy, because the real problem is another and the perspective is: completely wrong (read also Online learning and martial arts: is it possible?).
The point is that every aspect of martial preparation is fundamental (the perfection is made by the cure of all the details) but if the question is “what is the most important? The one that makes the difference between failure and success?”, we must say that:
- It is not the place where we train (a gym, a garage, etc.)
- It is not the quality of our training tools (DIY, professional, etc.)
- Beyond a certain level (and someone will think this is blasphemy,), it is nor the preparation of our instructor
Let’s be clear, all of this is important but the keyword is one, dedication:
- If we have the open-mindedness of asking the right questions
- If we have the patience to study, to go beyond the surface
- If we have the intelligence to verify the quality of everything we do
- If we have the humility to admit our errors
- If we have the courage to suffer, to fail (again and again)
Success, it is only a matter of time.
The initial question: are there MMA Pro fighters who have studied alone?
Yes, some at the beginning, some totally, some in part and they are the best ones:
- Jon Jones
- Rich Franklin
- Evan Tanner
- Mirko Filipović
- Roy Nelson
- Dave Herman
- Uriah Hall
- Bas Rutten
- James Thompson
- Jim Miller
- Dan Miller
- Matthew Riddle
- Anderson Silva
- Ben Askren
- Jon Fitch
- Pat Miletich
- Forrest Griffin
- Gegard Mousasi (boxing)
These people are not necessarily special talents (read Natural talent and martial arts), the only winning characteristics they have (built) in common is: self-discipline (read Motivation: from passion to self-discipline and Having discipline: do not contradict ourselves).
Is it possible to proficiently study martial arts from home?
We have to leave those mainstream thoughts, too many times sent forward by instructors who are simply afraid of losing students (read Recognize a good / bad master: 5 characteristics).
If we do not skip the fundamentals of a realistic combat training (an expert guide, sparring, group training, daily practice, etc., read 5 effective ways to find a training partner), it works, it simply works: how could it be otherwise?
It doesn’t matter if:
- We live in the north or south pole
- Our instructor is Australia, China or Bangladesh
- We learn from a videotape
- We cannot afford private lessons with a Grandmaster
If we have:
- A source of knowledge
- Someone expert to check our progress
- Someone to seriously spar with
- Time, space and will to train
What could stop us (read How to start practicing from scratch)?
A note by Master Kongling – Anyone who thinks they cannot take a serious workout from home simply could not follow it even in a gym. The real discriminant is the dedication that we are willing to put.
In the next articles of this series, we will continue with the topic of home-study martial preparation and then we will deepen some of the stories of those fighters.
In-depth video courses
- Basic 6 Dragons Kung Fu Exercises – The correct exercises to build a combat-oriented martial body
- Basic free hand fighting techniques – All the most important combat techniques of 6 Dragons Kung Fu
- MMA vs Tai Chi 10 seconds knock out: an explanation – The difference between sparring and no sparring
- Hand to hand combat: elite soldiers in MMA / UFC? – Why if elite soldiers are so good, they do not compete in UFC?
Reply in the comments and share your experience:
- Who told you that it is impossible to learn martial arts from your home?
Author: Master KonglingFounder of 6 Dragons Kung Fu.
How to master 6 Dragons Kung Fu?
Are you searching for:
- Daily training exercises?
- Synthetic theory and concepts?
- A step by step path from white to black belt?
- A path (clear, consequential and gradual) designed to build real martial skills?
- A direct contact with Master Kongling?
Go to our Patreon page and choose a training plan: starting from the Practitioner level, you will gain access to all this and much more.
Inside each Premium Lesson, you will receive the same teaching (practices, tips, concepts, small secrets and corrections) reserved to the live students of Master Kongling.
Important - Once a certain number of registrations are reached, no other participants can be accepted. For more information write to: [email protected].