Lesson 3 – Physical and technical training
The characteristics of 6 Dragons Kung Fu’s training
To be able to build a good training plan it is first necessary to understand that:
- You have to train your body, your mind and your mind in relation to your body
- In martial arts there are endless varieties of possible training and most of them have excellent reasons to exist
- Although the 6 Dragons Kung Fu includes thousands of different exercises, many of these will only be marginal (weekly, monthly, etc.)
- To be able to excel you must make choices and exclusions (based on your perspectives, needs, etc.)
- The type and intensity of the psychophysical conditioning you will be subjected to will be different depending on the use you will want to make with it (self-defense, wellness, combat sports, etc.)
- In 6DKF basic formation, the heart of training is the same for everyone and is based on a few exercises
Basic technical training
These are the workouts (free body and weapons) that distinguish the 6 Dragons Kung Fu in its second phase (read Lesson 2.1):
- Fabric Cloth Training (read Basic tools: the cloth)
- Hanging Speedballs (read Basic tools: the hanging speedball)
- Poles Training (read Basic tools: the pole)
- Conditioning (read Physical conditioning: how it works)
- Sparring (read How to do sparring)
Even without learning the fighting techniques of our style, these workouts and their variants are (almost) sufficient to create a decent fighter.
Of course we will not stop here but the central idea of this passage is precisely that of inducing the autonomous development of its own “raw” combat system, based on solid bases of direct experience and experimentation (read Lesson 2.1).
The basic physical workouts
The physical workouts of phase 2 are much more common but not less important, let’s just mention a few:
- Crawl on the ground
- Regeneration exercises
At the heart of the practice inevitably follows the multitude of:
- Secondary physical exercises
- Secondary technical exercises
- Psychological exercises
- Application of a first technical sector
- Variants / handicaps to be applied to the previous ones
In the next lesson you will see how to prepare your training sessions and some practical examples.
- How to train in 6DKF: specific exercises – A view of the next phase fundamental exercise categories.
- Sparring – The various kind of sparring of 6 Dragons Kung Fu.
Author: Master Kongling
Founder of 6 Dragons Kung Fu.