What is (self) discipline?
“Having discipline means doing what we think, without acting on the basis of how we feel”.
In martial arts as well as in any aspect of life, the first thing we need to develop is self-discipline; once acquired this skill, all the remaining road is downhill, without it, we will never start to achieve concrete and tangible results.
Do not contradict ourselves
If we think about it for a moment, nothing is more silly of going in contradiction with ourselves. Once an idea has been subjected to the test of our reason, it’sc completely absurd to overshadow our decision on the basis of things like:
- Momentary weaknesses
- Collateral desires
- Eventual distractions
- Leak of concentration
- Fear of failing
How to remain faithful to the decisions we have made
In any project / decision of our lives, we must identify:
- A time for planning – We need to evaluate and think about how, what, where, why, when and especially if we have to pursue our intent (preparation)
- A processing moment – When we have decided and defined our project the time for doubts it’s ended; we have only one option, start to work (discipline)
- A phase of correction / adaptation – The fact of having started working means that nothing can stop us but not that we can not adjust the aim on our goal (concentration)
No project worthy of the name proceeds smoothly from start to finish. It is completely normal:
- To face errors and misunderstanding
- To find things that apparently seem more profitable and easy to reach
- To suffer fatigue
We all have the same feelings, concerns and temptations but nothing of these must distract us from our decision (read One man: one word) because, otherwise, we will find ourselves each time:
- With the obligation to start over
- With nothing in our hands
- Less motivated
- Having wasted time and energy unnecessarily
The road will not be straight
The only things that legitimately will be able to divert our route are:
- The inevitable mistakes we will face (read Measure ourselves with errors)
- The advice resulting from the dialogue with people who have already achieved the result we are aiming for
A note by Master Kongling – We do not have to obey to others, we must reflect on what others bring to our attention but only to make criticism to ourselves in a constructive way. If our intention is good and does no harm to anyone, under any circumstances, weakness must be able to stop or force us to turn back.
In the next article of this series, we will see some practical methods to start building our self-discipline.
- How to solve any kind of life problem – The 6 Dragons Kung Fu’s Method to solve problems
- How to train with perseverance – A few tips on how to train in the correct way
Author: Master Kongling
Founder of 6 Dragons Kung Fu.