Reconnecting to the article “Earth movements: the sand whirls exercise” (and all the others related with the sandbox training) we would like to point out some useful details to optimize the quality and safety of the practice:
The raw material:
- The ideal type of sand is that of construction (better the refined one, costs a little more)
- We can also use rice as an alternative
- The amount of ideal sand to buy for a 40x40x40cm vase is 50Kg (about 10-15Kg of surplus)
- Let’s do not throw off the excess sand (it will serve us for future refilling)
- The container must be circular shock-resistant and stress-resistant (eg. a middle size plant vase)
- The minimum size is 40x40x40cm, without this capacity many exercises can not be executed
- Let’s do not put the sand directly in the jar but inside a sturdy plastic bag (eg. those of the garbage but of high quality and without holes)
- Let’s attach to the upper borders of the vase the plastic bag firmely
- Under the jar, it is convenient to put a very robust plastic protection (so we can eventualy move everything without damages and to let the spilling out sand does not damage the surrounding environment)
- Before starting, it is useful to put 400ml of water on the sand (to avoid harmful dust for the lungs and at the same time to make the raw material more compact)
- If possible, let’ isolate the sand from the outside environment in order to avoid the nesting of parasites and / or insects
- Let’s wash our hands before and after training by removing any residue of sand
- Most of the exercises we will see will be performed with one hand at the time, the other hand may be used in various ways for other practices (conditioning the grip, etc.)
- A sand exercise is performed in the right way only if we find the right balance bethween effort and fluidity of motions (without resistance or quality of movements the practice it’s useless)
- Depending on the exercise we gradually have increase factors like penetration, amount of sand moved, speed, inertia, precision, etc.
- Let’s never exaggerate with the movements that directly or indirectly include the effort of the fingers and / or the wrist
- If we have fingers or wrists even slightly painful let’s avoid subjecting them to the stress of sand
- If the sand is too compact for our workout level it is good practice to move it making it more soft
We will soon see further exercises to be carried out with the sand pot.
Author: Master Kongling
Founder of 6 Dragons Kung Fu.