Back / cervical pain due to contractures is typical of mental stress, too intense training or incorrect workout method. In this article we want to expose a very simple, effective and quick way to stretch / relax the back and neck.
Let’s see how:
- Let’s take 2 tennis or baseball balls (they’re also fine in plastic)
- Let’s find a smooth wall that can be “dirtied” and (if possible) let us take off the shirt
- Let’s relax mind and body, we have to slowly breathe (we can also use ambient music)
- Let’s put the balls together and let’s position them between our back and the wall
- The balls must always be one at the right and one a left side of our spine
- Let’s start by positioning them at the base of the buttocks
- Let’s move slowly upwards and downwards pushing the back against the wall
- The part that interests us is in the vicinity of the spine (we have to keep the balls together, with hands if necessary)
- If the balls are separated it just happens that the massage extends to the rest of the back
- As the contractures are dissolved in the gluteal area, we have to move the balls in the highest areas (up to the neck)
- We have to cover the entire length of the back but we must insist (with caution) on the points that major cause “pain”
- We try to make slow movements and intense
- During the exercise itself, if we are doing it well, we will feel a strong sense of wellbeing and relaxation
- In a few sessions (probably 1-2) of self-massage and if our problem is due solely to numbness / contractures, the pain will disappear
- The same practice can be performed on the ground instead of against the wall
- Before performing the exercise we must consult with our family doctor
- At the first sensation of pain or discomfort we must interrupt the practice
- We do not have to do this massage in the presence of unhealed trauma / inflammation / etc., we always have to wait that our body for being stabilized
- If the contractures are very strong it is a good practice to do a relaxing hot shower before starting the practice
This exercise comes from Yoga and it has a very high efficiency level; the advice is to practice for 10 minutes a day until complete recovery. Later we will see such other useful applications to increase flexibility during / after a power stretching sessions.
Author: Master Kongling
Founder of 6 Dragons Kung Fu.