The first contact with the conditioning to pain must be very gentle, we must not do anything that harms us or just leave on our body any kind of sign / feeling.
A good introductory exercise is to slap our body:
- We have to slap our body (from toe to head)
- We must do not leave uncovered parts, we have to cover the entire body surface
- Let’s hit with rhythmic cadence at half-second intervals
- The first times we do not hit 2 times in a row the same point
- If we have never done anything like this we must learn to dose the force as much as we can (let’s go gentle)
- Depending on the point that we strike we must exercise more or less power
- Let’s pay attention to sensitive parts like ears (let’s skip them for now), neck, eyes and genitals
- Let’s perform the exercise for 10 minutes
- If we find any kind of unusual sensation we have to immediately stop
This kind of exercise helps us to know at the same time:
- Our strength and what kind of control we have over it
- The strength that we are able to express in unfavorable positions
- The weak and strong areas of our body and therefore the opponent’s ones
- The areas where we will identify pressure / pain points
In this first phase we shall do not release power and so there isn’t a real conditioning to resistance to pain, it is an exploration of our body.
We have to be patient.
Given that the conditioning exercises should never be made 2 days in a row, we can gradually give greater emphasis to the strength after 5-6 sessions. Let’s never forget, however, that this exercise must be performed:
- Gradually, patiently and with intelligence
- With an increased in intensity only after learning to preserve the delicate areas of our body
- With the idea of strengthening our body and never damage it
- With the idea of being able to deal with a confrontation just after
In the next article we will see a second type of conditioning a bit ‘more intense. All the 6DKF’s conditioning exercises are not mandatory but they are important if we truly want to learn to fight in a real situation (in no fighting we will end completely unscathed).
Author: Master Kongling
Founder of 6 Dragons Kung Fu.