We have loved the idea of a PVC wooden dummy (for beginners), it has a very low cost accessible to everyone (the original idea was found on kungfu2u.com).
This training dummy is good for every martial art, from Wing Chun to 6DKF, Karate and so on, let’s have a deeper look.
- Ideal to get familiar with the basic movements
- Very low cost
- Easily portable / removable
- Assemblable by anyone
- No need for special skills or technical tools
- It can be replaced / repaired easily
- The composition parts can be purchased by anyone
- Very light and then slightly unstable
- Not fully simulates the resistance of a human body
- Not suitable for those who are able to hit solid surfaces high power
- Longevity limited (the holes tend to be damaged with time)
Let’s see some possible improvements:
- The lower part should be bigger to have a good stability
- The lower part must be ballasted with sandbags or stone blocks
- The lower tubes and the middle may be partially filled with sand or other filling materials
- Holes can be protected / reinforced with hard rubber or elastic glue
- The holes of the limbs protruding can be closed by felt pads in plastic for chairs/tables
- The limbs protruding should cross the central body not only frontally but even from behind and vertical nails (internal and external) should prevent them from moving
- Some parts may be replaced or reinforced with alternate materials more suitable
Author: Master Kongling
Founder of 6 Dragons Kung Fu.